Global Real Estate Markets - Cycles and Fundamentals
AbstractThe correlations among international real estate markets are surprisingly high, given the degree to which they are segmented. While industrial, office and retail properties exist all around the world, they are not economic substitutes because of locational specificity. In addition, the broad securitization of real estate property companies has, until recently, lagged that of other types of companies. Never-the-less, international property returns move together in dramatic fashion. In this paper, we use eleven years of global property returns to explore the factors influencing this co-movement. We attribute a substantial amount of the correlation across world property markets to the effects of changes in GNP, suggesting that real estate is a bet on fundamental economic variables which are correlated across countries. A decomposition shows that a local production factor is more important in some countries than in others.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 7566.
Date of creation: Feb 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- William N. Goetzmann & Bradford Case & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 1999. "Global Real Estate Markets: Cycles And Fundamentals," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm116, Yale School of Management.
- Bradford Case & William Goetzmann & K. Rouwenhorst, 1999. "Global Real Estate Markets: Cycles And Fundamentals," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm20, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Jan 2001.
- F4 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance
- R1 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics
- R33 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - Nonagricultural and Nonresidential Real Estate Markets
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2000-02-28 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Piet Eichholtz & Ronald Huisman & Kees Koedijk & Lisa Schuin, 1998. "Continental Factors in International Real Estate Returns," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 26(3), pages 493-509.
- Crocker H. Liu & David J. Hartzell & Martin E. Hoesli, 1997. "International Evidence on Real Estate Securities as an Inflation Hedge," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 25(2), pages 193-221.
- Eichholtz, Piet M A & Hartzell, David J, 1996. "Property Shares, Appraisals and the Stock Market: An International Perspective," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 163-78, March.
- Piet M.A. Eichholtz, 1996. "The Stability of the Covariances of International Property Share Returns," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 11(2), pages 149-158.
- Holly, Sean & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Yamagata, Takashi, 2010.
"Spatial and Temporal Diffusion of House Prices in the UK,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4694, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sean Holly & M. Hashem Pesaran & Takashi Yamagata, 2010. "Spatial and Temporal Diffusion of House Prices in the UK," CESifo Working Paper Series 2913, CESifo Group Munich.
- Holly, S. & Pesaran, M.H. & Yamagata, T., 2009. "Spatial and Temporal Diffusion of House Prices in the UK," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0952, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- S Holly & M Hashem Pesaran & T Yamagata, . "Spatial and Temporal Diffusion of House Prices in the UK," Discussion Papers 09/32, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Veera Lenkkeri & Wessel Marquering & Ben Strunkmann-Meister, 2006. "The Friday Effect in European Securitized Real Estate Index Returns," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 31-50, August.
- Fabio Bagliano & Claudio Morana, 2009.
"Permanent and Transitory Dynamics in House Prices and Consumption: Cross-Country Evidence,"
CeRP Working Papers
81, Center for Research on Pensions and Welfare Policies, Turin (Italy).
- Fabio C. Bagliano & Claudio Morana, 2008. "Permanent and Transitory Dynamics in House Prices and Consumption: Cross-Country Evidence," Working papers 2, Former Department of Economics and Public Finance "G. Prato", University of Torino.
- Andrea Beltratti & Claudio Morana, 2008. "International shocks and national house prices," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 14-2008, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Neal Maroney & Atsuyuki Naka, 2006. "Diversification Benefits of Japanese Real Estate Over the Last Four Decades," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 259-274, November.
- Patrick Wilson & Ralf Zurbruegg, 2003. "Trends and Spectral Response: An Examination of the US Realty Market," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2003-15, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Shaukat, Mughees, 2010. "The Benefits and Importance of Commercial Real Estate," MPRA Paper 28268, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pat Wilson & Ralf Zurbruegg & Richard Gerlach, 2002. "Structural Breaks and Diversification: The ImpactThe Impact of the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis on the Integration of Asia-Pacific Real Estate Markets," Working Paper Series 121, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Plazzi, Alberto & Torous, Walt & Valkanov, Rossen, 2004. "13-04 Expected Returns and the Expected Growth in Rents of Commercial Real Estate," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt8c68m5tk, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Haibin Zhu, 2005. "The importance of property markets for monetary policy and financial stability," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Real estate indicators and financial stability, volume 21, pages 9-29 Bank for International Settlements.
- Gunther Maier & Shanaka Herath, 2009. "Real Estate Market Efficiency: A Survey of Literature," SRE-Disc sre-disc-2009_07, Institute for the Environment and Regional Development, Department of Socioeconomics, Vienna University of Economics and Business.
- Jian Yang & James Kolari & Guozhong Zhu, 2005. "European public real estate market integration," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(13), pages 895-905.
- Ivo Wit, 2010. "International Diversification Strategies for Direct Real Estate," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 41(4), pages 433-457, November.
- Iacoviello, Matteo & Minetti, Raoul, 2006. "International business cycles with domestic and foreign lenders," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(8), pages 2267-2282, November.
- Oikarinen, Elias, 2006. "Price Linkages between Stock, Bond and Housing Markets - Evidence from Finnish Data," Discussion Papers 1004, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Diego A. Salzman & Remco C.J. Zwinkels, 2013. "Behavioural Real Estate," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 13-088/IV/DSF57, Tinbergen Institute.
- Robert T. Kleiman & James E. Payne & Anandi P. Sahu, 2002. "Random Walks and Market Efficiency: Evidence from International Real Estate Markets," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 24(3), pages 279-298.
- Holly, Sean & Hashem Pesaran, M. & Yamagata, Takashi, 2011. "The spatial and temporal diffusion of house prices in the UK," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 2-23, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.