The International Monetary Fund and the Developing Countries: A Critical Evaluation
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to critically evaluate the IMF's role in the developing countries' adjustment process. In particular, the paper tries to answer the following questions: What model or framework does the IMF use to generate its advice, and is that advice eclectic? Is there evidence that countries that followed the IMF's advice do better than countries that proceed in other ways? Are the policy decisions of the Fund based on technical knowledge or do they reflect the political views of the larger members? Is the IMF position regarding the debt crisis conducive to a realistic solution? What can we expect from the Fund in the future? The paper also includes an evaluation of recent IMF programs, as well as an econometric analysis of the contractionary devaluation issue.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 2909.
Date of creation: Apr 1990
Date of revision:
Note: ITI IFM
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacob A. Frenkel & Assaf Razin, 1986.
"The International Transmission and Effects of Fiscal Policies,"
NBER Working Papers
1799, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Razin, Assaf, 1986. "The International Transmission and Effects of Fiscal Policies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 330-35, May.
- Edward, Sebastian, 1986.
"Are Devaluations Contractionary?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 68(3), pages 501-08, August.
- Mohsin S. Khan & Peter J. Montiel, 1987. "Real Exchange Rate Dynamics in a Small, Primary-Exporting Country," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(4), pages 681-710, December.
- Buira, Ariel, 1983. "IMF financial programs and conditionality," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-2), pages 111-136.
- J. J. Polak, 1957. "Monetary Analysis of Income Formation and Payments Problems," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 6(1), pages 1-50, November.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1988. "Variable Trends in Economic Time Series," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 147-74, Summer.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.