A State and Local Consumer Price Index for the United States in 1890
AbstractThis paper estimates a cost of living index for 39 states of the United States and the District of Columbia, as well as for 70 individual cities and towns, for the year 1890. It gives an overall index in addition to seven commodity subindices (food, clothing, housing, fuel and lighting, furniture, liquor and tobacco, and other coITllTlCX1ities). The cost of housing is only provided for 21 of the states and 5 of the cities, however. separate overall indices are calculated with and without housing costs. The source is the Aldrich Report for all the prices except housing. Housing costs were derived from the 1889/90 U.S. Commissioner of Labor Survey and from the earlier work of Albert Rees on real wages in American manufacturing. These price indices constitute simple fixed-weight Lespeyres indices and are not "true" constant utility cost of living indices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Historical Working Papers with number 0002.
Date of creation: May 1989
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-06-08 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deaton, Angus, 1987. "Estimation of own- and cross-price elasticities from household survey data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 7-30.
- Deaton, A., 1988.
"Quality, Quantity, And Spatial Variation Of Price,"
30, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Michael R. Haines, 1989. "Consumer Behavior and Immigrant Assimilation: A comparison of the United States, Britain and Germany, 1889/1890," NBER Historical Working Papers 0006, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Deaton, Angus S. & Ruiz-Castillo, Javier & Thomas, Duncan, 1989.
"The influence of household composition on household expenditure patterns : theory and Spanish evidence,"
Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
info:hdl:10016/4772, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Deaton, Angus S & Ruiz-Castillo, Javier & Thomas, Duncan, 1989. "The Influence of Household Composition on Household Expenditure Patterns: Theory and Spanish Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(1), pages 179-200, February.
- Coelho, Philip R. P. & Shepherd, James F., 1979. "The Impact of Regional Differences in Prices and Wages on Economic Growth: The United States in 1890," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(01), pages 69-85, March.
- Michael R. Haines & Allen C. Goodman, 1989. "Buying the American Dream: Housing Demand in the United States in the Late Nineteenth Century," NBER Historical Working Papers 0005, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chris Minns & Mary MacKinnon, 2006.
"The Costs Of Doing Hard Time: A Penitentiary-Based Regional Price Index For Canada, 1883-1923,"
Departmental Working Papers
2006-09, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Chris Minns & Mary MacKinnon, 2007. "The costs of doing hard time: a penitentiary-based regional price index for Canada, 1883-1923," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 40(2), pages 528-560, May.
- Chris Minns & Mary Mackinnon, 2005. "The Costs of Doing Hard Time: A penitentiary-based regional price index for Canada, 1883-1923," Trinity Economics Papers tep1, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Chris Minns & Mary Mackinnon, 2005. "The Costs of Doing Hard Time: A penitentiary-based regional price index for Canada, 1883-1923," Trinity Economics Papers 200051, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Tombe, Trevor, 2011.
"Structural change and regional convergence: the case of declining transport costs,"
34053, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Trevor Tombe, 2012. "Structural Change and Regional Convergence: The Case of Declining Transport Costs," Working Papers tt0061, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics, revised 2012.
- Hiermeyer, Martin, 2010. "The height and BMI values of West Point cadets after the Civil War," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 127-133, March.
- repec:tcd:wpaper:tep1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sunder, Marco, 2011. "Upward and onward: High-society American women eluded the antebellum puzzle," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 165-171, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.