Internationalisation in the household appliances sector in Fabriano (Italy). A case study
AbstractThis paper analyses the household appliances district of Jesi-Fabriano. It shows how the internationalisation strategies of many enterprises are gradually modifying the organizational structure of the local production system. The diverse goals that have led the internationalisation processes and the strategies chosen by enterprises to effectively approach far away markets are at the core of the paper that includes a broad review of the fragmentation actions of the local enterprises. Special attention is paid to the effects of the internationalisation process on the relationships among actors along the whole filire and on the models of internal enterprise management. After an analysis of the history of the district and its current transformations, the main conclusions focus on possible scenarios regarding external and endogenous factors, on the main opportunities that enterprises should seize in order to successfully complete the ongoing internationalisation process and on the important role of local and national institutions in supporting the evolution of the model of local economic development.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Industrial Studies (CSIL) in its series Working Papers with number 200902.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 18 Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Internationalisation; Iinternational Fragmentation; Industrial Districts; Household Appliance Industry;
Other versions of this item:
- Gianluca LAVEZZARI & Sara PAOLETTI & Pietro POSSENTI & Massimo FLORIO, 2008. "Internationalisation in the household appliances sector in Fabriano (Italy): a case study," Departmental Working Papers 2008-41, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- L68 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Appliances; Other Consumer Durables
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-04-13 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984. "The Factor Content of Foreign Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(373), pages 84-94, March.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984.
"A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations,"
3445092, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984. "A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 451-71, June.
- Arndt, Sven W. & Kierzkowski, Henryk (ed.), 2001. "Fragmentation: New Production Patterns in the World Economy," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199243310.
- Balloni Valeriano & Iacobucci Donato, 2001. "I "nuovi protagonisti" dell'industria italiana," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 4, pages 633-676.
- Antonio G. CALAFATI & Francesca MAZZONI, 2006. "Sviluppo locale e sviluppo regionale: il caso delle Marche," Working Papers 252, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marinella Manghina).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.