Estimation in Partially Linear Single-Index Panel Data Models with Fixed Effects
AbstractIn this paper, we consider semiparametric estimation in a partially linear single-index panel data model with fixed effects. Without taking the difference explicitly, we propose using a semiparametric minimum average variance estimation (SMAVE) based on a dummy-variable method to remove the fixed effects and obtain consistent estimators for both the parameters and the unknown link function. As both the cross section size and the time series length tend to infinity, we not only establish an asymptotically normal distribution for the estimators of the parameters in the single index and the linear component of the model, but also obtain an asymptotically normal distribution for the nonparametric local linear estimator of the unknown link function. The asymptotically normal distributions of the proposed estimators are similar to those obtained in the random effects case. In addition, we study several partially linear single-index dynamic panel data models. The methods and results are augmented by simulation studies and illustrated by an application to a cigarette-demand data set in the US from 1963-1992
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics in its series Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers with number 14/11.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 11E, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/depts/ebs/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Jia Chen & Jiti Gao & Degui Li, 2013. "Estimation in Partially Linear Single-Index Panel Data Models With Fixed Effects," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(3), pages 315-330, July.
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ruppert,David & Wand,M. P. & Carroll,R. J., 2003. "Semiparametric Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521785167, December.
- Yingcun Xia & Howell Tong & W. K. Li & Li-Xing Zhu, 2002. "An adaptive estimation of dimension reduction space," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(3), pages 363-410.
- Ruppert,David & Wand,M. P. & Carroll,R. J., 2003. "Semiparametric Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521780506, December.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Dong Li, 2002.
"Series Estimation of Partially Linear Panel Data Models with Fixed Effects,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 3(1), pages 103-116, May.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Dong Li, . "Series Estimation of Partially Linear Panel Data Models with Fixed Effects," Working Papers 0109, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
- Badi H. Baltagi & James M. Griffin & Weiwen Xiong, 2000. "To Pool Or Not To Pool: Homogeneous Versus Hetergeneous Estimations Applied to Cigarette Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(1), pages 117-126, February.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999.
"Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1057-1112, September.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999. "Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1222, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Xia, Yingcun, 2006. "Asymptotic Distributions For Two Estimators Of The Single-Index Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(06), pages 1112-1137, December.
- Li, Qi & Stengos, Thanasis, 1996. "Semiparametric estimation of partially linear panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 389-397.
- Henderson, Daniel J. & Carroll, Raymond J. & Li, Qi, 2008. "Nonparametric estimation and testing of fixed effects panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 257-275, May.
- Cai, Zongwu & Li, Qi, 2008. "Nonparametric Estimation Of Varying Coefficient Dynamic Panel Data Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(05), pages 1321-1342, October.
- Henderson, Daniel J. & Ullah, Aman, 2005. "A nonparametric random effects estimator," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 403-407, September.
- Vidar Hjellvik & Rong Chen & Dag Tjøstheim, 2004. "Nonparametric Estimation and Testing in Panels of Intercorrelated Time Series," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(6), pages 831-872, November.
- Gao, Jiti, 2007. "Nonlinear time series: semiparametric and nonparametric methods," MPRA Paper 39563, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 2007.
- Xia, Yingcun & Härdle, Wolfgang, 2006. "Semi-parametric estimation of partially linear single-index models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(5), pages 1162-1184, May.
- Jeffrey Racine, 2008. "Nonparametric econometrics: a primer (in Russian)," Quantile, Quantile, issue 4, pages 7-56, March.
- Dale J. Poirier, 1995. "Intermediate Statistics and Econometrics: A Comparative Approach," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161494, January.
- Mammen, Enno & Støve, Bård & Tjøstheim, Dag, 2009. "Nonparametric Additive Models For Panels Of Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(02), pages 442-481, April.
- Jia Chen & Degui Li & Jiti Gao, 2013. "Non- and Semi-Parametric Panel Data Models: A Selective Review," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 18/13, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Grose).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.