Nonsimultaneity and Futures Option Pricing: Simulation and Empirical Evidence
AbstractEmpirical tests of option pricing models are joint tests of the 'correctness' of the model, the efficiency of the market and the simultaneity of price observations. Some degree of nonsimultaeity can be expected in all but the most liquid markets and is therefore evident in many non-US markets. Simulation results indicate that nonsimultaneity is potentially a significant problem in empirical tests of futures option pricing models. Empirical results using Australian data show that a five-minute window for matching transactions does not remove the nonsimultaneity bias for near-the-money and out-of-the money options. A more accurate matching may therefore be required. The nonsimultaneity bias is effectively removed if a five-minute window is employed for in-the-money options.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics in its series Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers with number 13/02.
Length: 39 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 11E, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/depts/ebs/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-01-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2003-01-27 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-CMP-2003-01-27 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-FIN-2003-01-27 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2003-01-27 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-RMG-2003-01-27 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vijh, Anand M, 1988. " Potential Biases from Using Only Trade Prices of Related Securities on Different Exchanges: A Comment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(4), pages 1049-55, September.
- Brown, C. A. & Taylor, S. D., 1997. "A test of the Asay model for pricing options on the SPI futures contract," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 5(5), pages 579-594, December.
- Brooks, Raymond M. & Chiou, Shur-Nuaan, 1995. "A Bias in Closing Prices: The Case of the When-Issued Pricing Anomaly," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(03), pages 441-454, September.
- Whaley, Robert E, 1986. " Valuation of American Futures Options: Theory and Empirical Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(1), pages 127-50, March.
- Black, Fischer, 1976. "The pricing of commodity contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 167-179.
- Ramaswamy, Krishna & Sundaresan, Suresh M, 1985. " The Valuation of Options on Futures Contracts," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(5), pages 1319-40, December.
- Long, D Michael & Officer, Dennis T, 1997. "The Relation between Option Mispricing and Volume in the Black-Scholes Option Model," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 20(1), pages 1-12, Spring.
- Bookstaber, Richard M, 1981. "Observed Option Mispricing and the Nonsimultaneity of Stock and Option Quotations," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(1), pages 141-55, January.
- Manaster, Steven & Rendleman, Richard J, Jr, 1982. " Option Prices as Predictors of Equilibrium Stock Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1043-57, September.
- Galai, Dan, 1977. "Tests of Market Efficiency of the Chicago Board Options Exchange," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50(2), pages 167-97, April.
- Chiras, Donald P. & Manaster, Steven, 1978. "The information content of option prices and a test of market efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2-3), pages 213-234.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Grose).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.