Cournot duopoly and insider trading with two insiders
AbstractIn this paper, we study a version of the static Jain-Mirman (2002) model in which competition in the real sector is introduced. In this paper, we add competition in the stock sector to the Jain-Mirman (2002) paper. We show that the linear equilibrium structure is affected by this competition in the financial sector. Specifically, we show that the stock price set by the market maker reveals more information and that the behaviour of the profits of the manager depends on the parameters of the model. Moreover, we prove that the level of output produced by the manager is less than in Jain-Mirman (2002). Finally, we also study the case in which the market maker receives only one signal and analyze the comparative statics of this model when the market maker receives either one or two signals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1) in its series Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques with number b04077.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 106 - 112 boulevard de l'Hôpital, 75647 Paris cedex 13
Phone: 01 44 07 81 00
Fax: 01 44 07 81 09
Web page: http://mse.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Insider trading; stock prices; correlated signals; Kyle model.;
Other versions of this item:
- Daher, Wassim & Mirman, Leonard J., 2006. "Cournot duopoly and insider trading with two insiders," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 530-551, September.
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-12-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-FIN-2004-12-12 (Finance)
- NEP-FIN-2004-12-15 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2004-12-12 (Financial Markets)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wassim Daher & Leonard J. Mirman, 2004.
"Market structure and insider trading,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
b04025, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Holden, Craig W & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 1992. " Long-Lived Private Information and Imperfect Competition," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(1), pages 247-70, March.
- Hayne E. Leland., 1990.
"Insider Trading: Should It Be Prohibited?,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
RPF-195, University of California at Berkeley.
- Creane, Anthony, 1994. "Experimentation with Heteroskedastic Noise," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 275-86, March.
- Rohit Rahi & James Dow, 1998.
"Informed Trading, Investment, and Welfare,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp292, Financial Markets Group.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Tirole, Jean, 1993. "Market Liquidity and Performance Monitoring," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(4), pages 678-709, August.
- Baiman, Stanley & Verrecchia, Robert E., 1995. "Earnings and price-based compensation contracts in the presence of discretionary trading and incomplete contracting," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 93-121, July.
- Ausubel, Lawrence M, 1990. "Insider Trading in a Rational Expectations Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1022-41, December.
- Jain, Neelam & Mirman, Leonard J., 2002. "Effects of insider trading under different market structures," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 19-39.
- Leonard J. Mirman & Neelam Jain, 2000. "Real and financial effects of insider trading with correlated signals," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 333-353.
- Manove, Michael, 1989. "The Harm from Insider Trading and Informed Speculation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(4), pages 823-45, November.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Vila, Jean-Luc, 1994.
"Insider Trading without Normality,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(1), pages 131-52, January.
- Jain, Neelam & Mirman, Leonard J., 1999. "Insider trading with correlated signals," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 105-113, October.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
- Foster, F Douglas & Viswanathan, S, 1993. "The Effect of Public Information and Competition on Trading Volume and Price Volatility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(1), pages 23-56.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00639657 is not listed on IDEAS
- Karam, Fida & Daher, Wassim, 2013.
"Insider trading in a two-tier real market structure model,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 44-52.
- Fida Karam & Wassin Daher, 2011. "Insider trading in a two-tier real market structure model," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 11068, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Park, Young S. & Lee, Jaehyun, 2010. "Detecting insider trading: The theory and validation in Korea Exchange," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 2110-2120, September.
- Wang, Leonard F.S. & Wang, Ya-Chin & Ren, Shuang, 2009. "Stackelberg financial-leader in insider trading model," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 123-131, January.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00676502 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00653971 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wassim Daher & Harun Aydilek & Fida Karam & Asiye Adydilek, 2012.
"Insider trading with product differentiation,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
12014, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00676502 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00639657 is not listed on IDEAS
- Leonard F.S. Wang & Ya-Chin Wang, 2010. "Stackelberg real-leader in an insider trading model," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(1), pages 30-46, March.
- Wassim Daher & Fida Karam & Leonard J. Mirman, 2011.
"Insider trading with different market structures,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
11056, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.