Internationalisation in the household appliances sector in Fabriano (Italy): a case study
AbstractThis paper analyses the household appliances district of Jesi-Fabriano. It shows how the internationalisation strategies of many enterprises are gradually modifying the organizational structure of the local production system. The diverse goals that have led the internationalisation processes and the strategies chosen by enterprises to effectively approach far away markets are at the core of the paper that includes a broad review of the fragmentation actions of the local enterprises. Special attention is paid to the effects of the internationalisation process on the relationships among actors along the whole filière and on the models of internal enterprise management. After an analysis of the history of the district and its current transformations, the main conclusions focus on possible scenarios regarding external and endogenous factors, on the main opportunities that enterprises should seize in order to successfully complete the ongoing internationalisation process and on the important role of local and national institutions in supporting the evolution of the model of local economic development.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 2008-41.
Date of creation: 18 Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Internationalisation; international fragmentation; industrial districts; household appliance industry;
Other versions of this item:
- Gianluca Lavezzari & Sara Paoletti & Massimo Florio & Pietro Possenti, 2008. "Internationalisation in the household appliances sector in Fabriano (Italy). A case study," Working Papers 200902, Centre for Industrial Studies (CSIL).
- L68 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Appliances; Other Consumer Durables
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-06-17 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonio G. CALAFATI & Francesca MAZZONI, 2006. "Sviluppo locale e sviluppo regionale: il caso delle Marche," Working Papers 252, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984.
"A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 451-71, June.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984. "A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations," Scholarly Articles 3445092, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Arndt, Sven W. & Kierzkowski, Henryk (ed.), 2001. "Fragmentation: New Production Patterns in the World Economy," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199243310.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984. "The Factor Content of Foreign Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(373), pages 84-94, March.
- Balloni Valeriano & Iacobucci Donato, 2001. "I "nuovi protagonisti" dell'industria italiana," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 4, pages 633-676.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEMM Working Papers).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.