Spillovers and Correlations between US and Major European Stock Markets: The Role of the Euro
AbstractThis paper investigates the transmission of price and volatility spillovers across the New York, London, Frankfurt and Paris stock markets under the framework of the multivariate EGARCH model. The model is extended to allow dynamic conditional correlations, with the correlations allowed to change with the introduction of the Euro. By using daily closing prices recorded at 16:00 London time (pseudo-closing prices) we find evidence that domestic stock returns and volatilities are influenced by the behavior of foreign markets, with both volatilities and conditional correlations responding asymmetrically to news/innovations in other markets. The findings also indicate that the correlations of returns have increased for all markets since the launch of the Euro, with that between Frankfurt and Paris experiencing the largest increase.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester in its series Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series with number 64.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Christos Savva & Denise Osborn & Len Gill, 2009. "Spillovers and correlations between US and major European stock markets: the role of the euro," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 19(19), pages 1595-1604.
- Christos S. Savva & Denise R. Osborn & Len Gill, 2005. "Spillovers and Correlations between US and Major European Stock Markets: The Role of the Euro," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0541, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- C S Savva & D R Osborn & L Gill, 2005. "Spillovers and Correlations between US and Major European Stock Markets: The Role of the Euro," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0515, Economics, The University of Manchester.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- François Longin, 2001. "Extreme Correlation of International Equity Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 649-676, 04.
- Lastrapes, William D, 1989. "Exchange Rate Volatility and U.S. Monetary Policy: An ARCH Application," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 21(1), pages 66-77, February.
- Lorenzo Cappiello & Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2006.
"Asymmetric Dynamics in the Correlations of Global Equity and Bond Returns,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(4), pages 537-572.
- Sheppard, Kevin & Cappiello, Lorenzo & Engle, Robert F., 2003. "Asymmetric dynamics in the correlations of global equity and bond returns," Working Paper Series 0204, European Central Bank.
- Charlotte Christiansen, 2007.
"Decomposing European Bond and Equity Volatility,"
CREATES Research Papers
2007-06, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Westermann, Frank, 2001. "Equity Price Dynamics Before and After the Introduction of the Euro," Discussion Papers in Economics 17, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Hamao, Yasushi & Masulis, Ronald W & Ng, Victor, 1990. "Correlations in Price Changes and Volatility across International Stock Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(2), pages 281-307.
- Hafner, C.M. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F., 2003. "A generalized dynamic conditional correlation model for many asset returns," Econometric Institute Report EI 2003-18, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Econometric Institute.
- Baele, Lieven, 2005.
"Volatility Spillover Effects in European Equity Markets,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(02), pages 373-401, June.
- Baele, L., 2003. "Volatility Spillover Effects in European Equity Markets," Discussion Paper 2003-114, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- L. Baele, 2003. "Volatility Spillover Effects in European Equity Markets," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 03/189, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Billio, Monica & Pelizzon, Loriana, 2003. "Volatility and shocks spillover before and after EMU in European stock markets," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(4-5), pages 323-340, December.
- Martens, Martin & Poon, Ser-Huang, 2001. "Returns synchronization and daily correlation dynamics between international stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 1805-1827, October.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1990. "Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 498-505, August.
- Dick van Dijk & Haris Munandar & Christian M. Hafner, 2005.
"The Euro Introduction and Non-Euro Currencies,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
05-044/4, Tinbergen Institute, revised 08 Jun 2006.
- van Dijk, Dick, 2006. "The Euro Introduction and Non-Euro Currencies," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain info:hdl:2078/119786, Université catholique de Louvain.
- Söehnke Bartram & Stephen Taylor & Yaw-Huei Wang, 2004. "The Euro and European Financial Market Integration," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 49, Money Macro and Finance Research Group, revised 13 Oct 2004.
- Robert F. Engle & Victor K. Ng, 1991.
"Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility,"
NBER Working Papers
3681, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F & Ng, Victor K, 1993. " Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1749-78, December.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Frank Westermann, 2001. "Equity Price Dynamics Before and After the Introduction of the Euro: A Note," CESifo Working Paper Series 420, CESifo Group Munich.
- Charlotte Christiansen, 2007. "Volatility-Spillover Effects in European Bond Markets," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 13(5), pages 923-948.
- Koutmos, Gregory & Booth, G Geoffrey, 1995. "Asymmetric volatility transmission in international stock markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 747-762, December.
- Tse, Y. K., 2000.
"A test for constant correlations in a multivariate GARCH model,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 107-127, September.
- Tom Doan, . "TSECCTEST: RATS procedure to perform Tse test for constant correlation in MV-GARCH model," Statistical Software Components RTS00214, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Tse's constant correlation GARCH test results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00161, Boston College Department of Economics.
- A.S.K. Wong & P.J.G. Vlaar, 2003. "Modelling time-varying correlations of financial markets," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 739, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- A. Maghyereh & B. Awartani, 2012. "Return and volatility spillovers between Dubai financial market and Abu Dhabi Stock Exchange in the UAE," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 22(10), pages 837-848, May.
- Erdogan, Oral & Tata, Kenan & Karahasan, B. Can & Sengoz, M. Hakan, 2013. "Dynamics of the co-movement between stock and maritime markets," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 282-290.
- Nektarios Aslanidis & Denise R. Osborn & Marianne Sensier, 2010. "Co-movements between US and UK stock prices: the role of time-varying conditional correlations," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(4), pages 366-380.
- Mayordomo, Sergio, . "Four essays on the interaction between credit derivatives and fixed income markets," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/9168, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Syriopoulos, Theodore & Roumpis, Efthimios, 2009. "Dynamic correlations and volatility effects in the Balkan equity markets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 565-587, October.
- Idier, J., 2006. "Stock exchanges industry consolidation and shock transmission," Working papers 159, Banque de France.
- Conrad, Christian & Weber, Enzo, 2013.
"Measuring Persistence in Volatility Spillovers,"
0543, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics.
- Conrad, Christian & Weber, Enzo, 2013. "Measuring Persistence in Volatility Spillovers," University of Regensburg Working Papers in Business, Economics and Management Information Systems 473, University of Regensburg, Department of Economics.
- Andrikopoulos, Andreas & Angelidis, Timotheos & Skintzi, Vasiliki, 2012. "Illiquidity, return and risk in G7 stock markets: interdependencies and spillovers," MPRA Paper 40003, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- María José Melendez & Marco Morales & Guillermo Yáñez, 2010. "Transmisión de Shocks y Acoplamiento con Mercados Accionarios Externos: Efectos Asimétricos y Quiebre Estructural," Working Papers 11, Facultad de Economía y Empresa, Universidad Diego Portales.
- Faten Ben Slimane & Mohamed Mehanaoui & Irfan Akbar Kazi, 2013. "How Does the Financial Crisis Affect Volatility Behavior and Transmission Among European Stock Markets?," International Journal of Financial Studies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 1(3), pages 81-101, August.
- Aslanidis, Nektarios & Osborn, Denise R. & Sensier, Marianne, 2008. "Co-movements between US and UK stock prices: the roles of macroeconomic information and time-series varying conditional correlations," Working Papers 2072/8950, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Nektarios Aslanidis & Denise R. Osborn & Marianne Sensier, 2008.
"Co-movements between US and UK stock prices: the roles of macroeconomic information and time-varying conditional correlations,"
Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series
96, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Nektarios Aslanidis & Denise R. Osborn & Marianne Sensier, 2008. "Comovements between US and UK stock prices: the roles of macroeconomic information and timevarying conditional correlations," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0805, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Nektarios Aslanidis & Christos S. Savva, 2011. "Are There Still Portfolio Diversification Benefits In Eastern Europe? Aggregate Versus Sectoral Stock Market Data," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 79(6), pages 1323-1352, December.
- Thomas Dimpfl & Robert Jung, 2011. "Financial market spillovers around the globe," Global Financial Markets Working Paper Series 20-2011, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- M. Fatih Oztek & Nadir Ocal, 2012. "Integration of China Stock Markets with International Stock Markets: An application of Smooth Transition Conditional Correlation with Double Transition Functions," ERC Working Papers 1209, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Dec 2012.
- Toyoshima, Yuki & Tamakoshi, Go & Hamori, Shigeyuki, 2012. "Asymmetric dynamics in correlations of treasury and swap markets: Evidence from the US market," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 381-394.
- Go Tamakoshi & Yuki Toyoshima & Shigeyuki Hamori, 2012. "A dynamic conditional correlation analysis of European stock markets from the perspective of the Greek sovereign debt crisis," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(1), pages 437-448.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marianne Sensier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.