Financial crisis, exchange rate and stock market integration
AbstractAfter the financial crisis originating from the collapse of the US housing market in 2007, financial markets, including stock markets and foreign exchange markets, experienced drastic fluctuations during an adjustment stage. We examine how the financial crisis affected the linkage between foreign exchange markets and stock markets. First, by examining the daily stock market returns of both Japan and the United States for the sample covering the 2007-2008 financial crisis, we test whether there is a shift in correlation in a smooth-transition correlation GARCH model. We find strong evidence that there was an abrupt upward shift in correlation in June of 2001. There may have been another upward shift of correlation in June of 2008, although the evidence is statistically weak. Second, after adding the JPY/USD exchange rate into a model, we find little correlation between returns of exchange rate and the Japanese stock market, although evidence indicates that there is two-way causality effect between the exchange rate and the Japanese stock market in a VAR framework. This paper provides evidence that a large financial shock may bring financial markets around the world closer to one another.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kyushu Sangyo University, Faculty of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 38.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2009
Date of revision:
Exchange rate; Financial crisis; Japan and US; Smooth transition; Stock market integration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-01-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-IFN-2010-01-16 (International Finance)
- NEP-OPM-2010-01-16 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-31, February.
- Hartmann, P. & Straetmans, S. & De Vries, C.G., 2001.
"Asset Market Linkages in Crisis Periods,"
71, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Hartmann, Philipp & Straetmans, Stefan & de Vries, Casper, 2001. "Asset market linkages in crisis periods," Working Paper Series 0071, European Central Bank.
- de Vries, Casper G & Hartmann, Philipp & Straetmans, Stefan, 2001. "Asset Market Linkages in Crisis Periods," CEPR Discussion Papers 2916, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- P. Hartmann & S. Straetmans & C.G. de Vries, 2001. "Asset Market Linkages in Crisis Periods," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-071/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Berben, Robert-Paul & Jansen, W. Jos, 2005.
"Comovement in international equity markets: A sectoral view,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 832-857, September.
- R-P. Berben & W.J. Jansen, 2001. "Comovement in International Equity Markets: a Sectoral View," MEB Series (discontinued) 2001-11, Netherlands Central Bank, Monetary and Economic Policy Department.
- Robert-Paul Berben & W. Jos Jansen, 2003. "Comovement in international equity markets: A sectoral view," Finance 0310001, EconWPA.
- Lucía Cuadro Sáez & Marcel Fratzscher & Christian Thimann, 2007.
"The transmission of emerging market shocks to global equity markets,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
0727, Banco de Espa�a.
- Cuadro-Sáez, Lucía & Fratzscher, Marcel & Thimann, Christian, 2009. "The transmission of emerging market shocks to global equity markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 2-17, January.
- Cuadro Sáez, Lucía & Fratzscher, Marcel & Thimann, Christian, 2007. "The transmission of emerging market shocks to global equity markets," Working Paper Series 0724, European Central Bank.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Diebold, Francis X. & Vega, Clara, 2007.
"Real-time price discovery in global stock, bond and foreign exchange markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 251-277, November.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Clara Vega, 2007. "Real-Time Price Discovery in Global Stock, Bond and Foreign Exchange Markets," CREATES Research Papers 2007-20, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Clara Vega, 2006. "Real-time price discovery in global stock, bond and foreign exchange markets," International Finance Discussion Papers 871, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jian Yang & Moosa M. Khan & Lucille Pointer, 2003. "Increasing Integration Between the United States and Other International Stock Markets? : A Recursive Cointegration Analysis," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 39(6), pages 39-53, November.
- Henrik Hansen & Søren Johansen, 1999. "Some tests for parameter constancy in cointegrated VAR-models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(2), pages 306-333.
- Bera, Anil K. & Kim, Sangwhan, 2002. "Testing constancy of correlation and other specifications of the BGARCH model with an application to international equity returns," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 171-195, March.
- Mervyn A. King & Sushil Wadhwani, 1989.
"Transmission of Volatility Between Stock Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
2910, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chelley-Steeley, Patricia L., 2005. "Modeling equity market integration using smooth transition analysis: A study of Eastern European stock markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 818-831, September.
- Tse, Y. K., 2000.
"A test for constant correlations in a multivariate GARCH model,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 107-127, September.
- Tom Doan, . "TSECCTEST: RATS procedure to perform Tse test for constant correlation in MV-GARCH model," Statistical Software Components RTS00214, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Tse's constant correlation GARCH test results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00161, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Xiao-Ming Li, 2006. "A Revisit Of International Stock Market Linkages: New Evidence From Rank Tests For Nonlinear Cointegration," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 53(2), pages 174-197, 05.
- Lin, Chien-Fu Jeff & Terasvirta, Timo, 1994. "Testing the constancy of regression parameters against continuous structural change," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 211-228, June.
- Yushi Yoshida, 2010. "Is this time different for Asia?: Evidence from stock Markets," Discussion Papers 40, Kyushu Sangyo University, Faculty of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yoshitsugu Kitazawa).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.