Modelling conditional correlations of asset returns: A smooth transition approach
AbstractIn this paper we propose a new multivariate GARCH model with time-varying conditional correlation structure. The time-varying conditional correlations change smoothly between two extreme states of constant correlations according to a predetermined or exogenous transition variable. An LM-test is derived to test the constancy of correlations and LM- and Wald tests to test the hypothesis of partially constant correlations. Analytical expressions for the test statistics and the required derivatives are provided to make computations feasible. An empirical example based on daily return series of five frequently traded stocks in the S&P 500 stock index completes the paper.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus in its series CREATES Research Papers with number 2012-09.
Date of creation: 02 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.au.dk/afn/
GARCH; Constant conditional correlation; Dynamic conditional correlation; Return comovement; Variable correlation GARCH model; Volatility model evaluation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2012-03-14 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2012-03-14 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berben, Robert-Paul & Jansen, W. Jos, 2005.
"Comovement in international equity markets: A sectoral view,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 832-857, September.
- R-P. Berben & W.J. Jansen, 2001. "Comovement in International Equity Markets: a Sectoral View," MEB Series (discontinued) 2001-11, Netherlands Central Bank, Monetary and Economic Policy Department.
- Robert-Paul Berben & W. Jos Jansen, 2003. "Comovement in international equity markets: A sectoral view," Finance 0310001, EconWPA.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008.
"Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR-GARCH models,"
Economics Series Working Papers
396, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2010. "Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR–GARCH models," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1002, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR-GARCH models," CREATES Research Papers 2008-30, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Parameter Estimation in Nonlinear AR-GARCH Models," Economics Working Papers ECO2008/25, European University Institute.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen, 2003.
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2003031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Shiqing Ling & Michael McAleer, 2001.
"Asymptotic Theory for a Vector ARMA-GARCH Model,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0549, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Pelletier, Denis, 2006.
"Regime switching for dynamic correlations,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 131(1-2), pages 445-473.
- Denis Pelletier, 2004. "Regime Switching for Dynamic Correlations," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 230, Econometric Society.
- Susan Thorp & George Milunovich, 2007. "Symmetric Versus Asymmetric Conditional Covariance Forecasts: Does It Pay To Switch?," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 30(3), pages 355-377.
- Silvennoinen, Annastiina & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2007.
"Multivariate GARCH models,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
669, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 18 Jan 2008.
- Tse, Y. K., 2000.
"A test for constant correlations in a multivariate GARCH model,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 107-127, September.
- Tom Doan, . "TSECCTEST: RATS procedure to perform Tse test for constant correlation in MV-GARCH model," Statistical Software Components RTS00214, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Tse's constant correlation GARCH test results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00161, Boston College Department of Economics.
- repec:qut:auncer:2013_03 is not listed on IDEAS
- Annastiina Silvennoinen & Susan Thorp, 2010. "Financialization, Crisis and Commodity Correlation Dynamics," Research Paper Series 267, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- bauwens, Luc & hafner, Christian & pierret, Diane, 2011.
"Multivariate volatility modeling of electricity futures,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2011011, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc Bauwens & Christian M. Hafner & Diane Pierret, 2013. "Multivariate Volatility Modeling Of Electricity Futures," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(5), pages 743-761, 08.
- Luc Bauwens & Christian M. Hafner & Diane Pierret, 2011. "Multivariate Volatility Modeling of Electricity Futures," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2011-063, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Heejoon Han & Dennis Kristensen, 2013.
"Asymptotic theory for the QMLE in GARCH-X models with stationary and non-stationary covariates,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP18/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Heejoon Han & Dennis Kristensen, 2012. "Asymptotic Theory for the QMLE in GARCH-X Models with Stationary and Non-Stationary Covariates," CREATES Research Papers 2012-25, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- L. Bauwens & E. Otranto, 2013.
"Modeling the Dependence of Conditional Correlations on Volatility,"
Working Paper CRENoS
201304, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- BAUWENS, Luc & otranto, EDOARDO, 2013. "Modeling the dependence of conditional correlations on volatility," CORE Discussion Papers 2013014, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.