Testing for Volatility Interactions in the Constant Conditional Correlation GARCH Model
AbstractIn this paper we propose a Lagrange multiplier test for volatility interactions among markets or assets. The null hypothesis is the Constant Conditional Correlation GARCH model in which volatility of an asset is described only through lagged squared innovations and volatility of its own. The alternative hypothesis is an extension of that model in which volatility is modelled as a linear combination not only of its own lagged squared innovations and volatility but also of those in the other equations while keeping the conditional correlation structure constant. This configuration enables us to test for volatility transmissions among variables in the model. Monte Carlo experiments show that the proposed test has satisfactory finite sample properties. The size distortions become negligible when the sample size reaches 2500. The test is applied to pairs of foreign exchange returns and individual stock returns. Results indicate that there seem to be volatility interactions in the pairs considered, and that significant interaction effects typically result from the lagged squared innovations of the other variables.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 649.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: 05 Jan 2007
Date of revision: 24 Jan 2007
Publication status: Published in Econometrics Journal, 2009, pages 147-163.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Multivariate GARCH; Volatility interactions; Lagrange multiplier test; Monte Carlo simulation; Conditional correlations;
Other versions of this item:
- Tomoaki Nakatani & Timo Terasvirta, 2009. "Testing for volatility interactions in the Constant Conditional Correlation GARCH model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 12(1), pages 147-163, 03.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- G19 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2007-01-13 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2007-01-13 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eklund, Bruno & Terasvirta, Timo, 2007.
"Testing constancy of the error covariance matrix in vector models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 753-780, October.
- Eklund, Bruno & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2003. "Testing constancy of the error covariance matrix in vector models," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 549, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 18 Jan 2006.
- Annastiina Silvennoinen & Timo Teräsvirta, 2005.
"Multivariate Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity with Smooth Transitions in Conditional Correlations,"
Research Paper Series
168, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Silvennoinen, Annastiina & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2005. "Multivariate Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity with Smooth Transitions in Conditional Correlations," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 577, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 01 Oct 2005.
- Engle, Robert F & Sheppard, Kevin K, 2001.
"Theoretical and Empirical Properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt5s2218dp, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2001. "Theoretical and Empirical properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH," NBER Working Papers 8554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert-Paul Berben & W. Jos Jansen, 2003.
"Comovement in international equity markets: A sectoral view,"
- Berben, Robert-Paul & Jansen, W. Jos, 2005. "Comovement in international equity markets: A sectoral view," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 832-857, September.
- R-P. Berben & W.J. Jansen, 2001. "Comovement in International Equity Markets: a Sectoral View," MEB Series (discontinued) 2001-11, Netherlands Central Bank, Monetary and Economic Policy Department.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Shiqing Ling & Michael McAleer, 2001.
"Asymptotic Theory for a Vector ARMA-GARCH Model,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0549, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Tse, Y. K., 2000.
"A test for constant correlations in a multivariate GARCH model,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 107-127, September.
- Tom Doan, . "TSECCTEST: RATS procedure to perform Tse test for constant correlation in MV-GARCH model," Statistical Software Components RTS00214, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Tse's constant correlation GARCH test results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00161, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Fiorentini,G. & Calzolari,G. & Panattoni,L., 1995.
"Analytic Derivatives and the Computation of Garch Estimates,"
9519, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Fiorentini, Gabriele & Calzolari, Giorgio & Panattoni, Lorenzo, 1996. "Analytic Derivatives and the Computation of GARCH Estimates," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 399-417, July-Aug..
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen, 2003.
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2003031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bera, Anil K. & Kim, Sangwhan, 2002. "Testing constancy of correlation and other specifications of the BGARCH model with an application to international equity returns," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 171-195, March.
- Cifarelli, Giulio & Paladino, Giovanna, 2005. "Volatility linkages across three major equity markets: A financial arbitrage approach," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 413-439, April.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Robert E. Cumby & Stephen Figlewski, 1986.
"Estimation of the optimal futures hedge,"
Research Working Paper
86-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- He, Changli & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2002. "An application of the analogy between vector ARCH and vector random coefficient autoregressive models," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 516, Stockholm School of Economics.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:11:y:1995:i:1:p:122-50 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Ng, Lilian K., 1996. "A causality-in-variance test and its application to financial market prices," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1-2), pages 33-48.
- Hamao, Yasushi & Masulis, Ronald W & Ng, Victor, 1990. "Correlations in Price Changes and Volatility across International Stock Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(2), pages 281-307.
- Le Pen, Yannick & Sévi, Benoît, 2009. "News and correlations: an impulse response analysis," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6804, Paris Dauphine University.
- Conrad, Christian & Karanasos, Menelaos, 2010.
"Negative Volatility Spillovers In The Unrestricted Eccc-Garch Model,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(03), pages 838-862, June.
- Christian Conrad & Menelaos Karanasos, 2008. "Negative Volatility Spillovers in the Unrestricted ECCC-GARCH Model," KOF Working papers 08-189, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- repec:hal:wpaper:hal-00378317 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paul Catani & Timo Teräsvirta & Meiqun Yin, 2014. "A Lagrange Multiplier Test for Testing the Adequacy of the Constant Conditional Correlation GARCH Model," CREATES Research Papers 2014-03, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Francq, Christian & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2010. "QML estimation of a class of multivariate GARCH models without moment conditions on the observed process," MPRA Paper 20779, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kirat, Djamel & Ahamada, Ibrahim, 2011. "The impact of the European Union emission trading scheme on the electricity-generation sector," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 995-1003, September.
- Tomasz Wozniak, 2012.
"Testing Causality Between Two Vectors in Multivariate GARCH Models,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
1139, The University of Melbourne.
- Tomasz Wozniak, 2012. "Testing Causality Between Two Vectors in Multivariate GARCH Models," Economics Working Papers ECO2012/20, European University Institute.
- Stahl, Gerhard & Wang, Shaohui & Wendt, Markus, 2011. "Validate Correlation of an ESG: Treasury Yields across," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-476, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00384496 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nakatani, Tomoaki & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2008.
"Positivity constraints on the conditional variances in the family of conditional correlation GARCH models,"
Finance Research Letters,
Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 88-95, June.
- Nakatani, Tomoaki & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2007. "Positivity Constraints on the Conditional Variances in the Family of Conditional Correlation GARCH Models," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 675, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 15 Nov 1007.
- Tomasz Wozniak, 2012. "Granger-causal analysis of VARMA-GARCH models," Economics Working Papers ECO2012/19, European University Institute.
- Haas, Markus, 2010. "Covariance forecasts and long-run correlations in a Markov-switching model for dynamic correlations," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 86-97, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.