On the relative advantage of cooperatives
AbstractWe show that the fact that farmers in a cooperative individually decide how much to supply to cooperative may serve as a commitment device for credibility (and profitably) gaining market share in competition with a profit maximizing firm.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics in its series CIE Discussion Papers with number 1998-02.
Length: 8 pages
Date of creation: Apr 1998
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in: Economics Letters. June 1998; 59(3): 397-401
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark
Phone: (0045) 35 32 30 54
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk/cie/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fershtman, Chaim & Judd, Kenneth L, 1987.
"Equilibrium Incentives in Oligopoly,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 927-40, December.
- Vickers, John, 1985. "Delegation and the Theory of the Firm," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(380a), pages 138-47, Supplemen.
- Farrell, J. & Shapiro, C., 1988.
"Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis,"
17, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
- Joseph Farrell and Carl Shapiro., 1988. "Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis," Economics Working Papers 8880, University of California at Berkeley.
- Farrell, Joseph & Shapiro, Carl, 1988. "Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt0tp305nx, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Bontems, Philippe & Fulton, Murray, 2009. "Organizational structure, redistribution and the endogeneity of cost: Cooperatives, investor-owned firms and the cost of procurement," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 322-343, October.
- Agrell, Per J. & Karantininis, Kostas, 2000. "Cooperative Supply Chains in Peace and at War," Unit of Economics Working papers 24209, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute.
- Boetoft, Peter, 2005. "An Information Economic Rationale for Cooperatives," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24476, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Michael Higl, 2003. "Vertikale Kooperation im Oligopol Die Gestaltung der Genossenschaftsorganisation als strategischer Zug," Discussion Paper Series 243, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Maxime Agbo & Damien Rousselière & Julien Salanié, 2013.
"A Theory of Agricultural Marketing Cooperatives with Direct Selling,"
1331, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Maxime Agbo & Damien Rousselière & Julien Salanié, 2013. "A Theory of Agricultural Marketing Cooperatives with Direct selling," Working Papers halshs-00906894, HAL.
- Drivas, Kyriakos & Giannakas, Konstantinos, 2006. "The Effect Of Cooperatives On Product Innovation In The Agri-Food System," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21223, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Pennerstorfer, Dieter & Weiss, Christoph R., 2007. "Do Cooperatives Offer High Quality Products?," 103rd Seminar, April 23-25, 2007, Barcelona, Spain 9403, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Marco Marini & Alberto Zevi, 2011.
"Just One Of Us: Consumers Playing Oligopoly In Mixed Markets,"
0111, CREI Università degli Studi Roma Tre, revised 2011.
- Marco Marini & Alberto Zevi, 2011. "‘Just one of us’: consumers playing oligopoly in mixed markets," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 104(3), pages 239-263, November.
- Marco, Marini & Alberto, Zevi, 2010. "'Just one of us': Consumers playing oligopoly in mixed markets," MPRA Paper 31213, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 30 May 2011.
- Sorensen, Ann-Christin, 2005. "Mixed Markets in the Food Processing Industry," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24741, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Drivas, Kyriakos & Giannakas, Konstantinos, 2008. "Process Innovation Activity in a Mixed Oligopsony: The Role of Marketing Cooperatives," Journal of Rural Cooperation, Hebrew University, Center for Agricultural Economic Research, vol. 36(2).
- MÃ©rel, Pierre R. & Saitone, Tina L. & Sexton, Richard J., 2009. "Cooperatives and Quality-Differentiated Markets: Strengths, Weaknesses, and Modeling Approaches," Journal of Rural Cooperation, Hebrew University, Center for Agricultural Economic Research, vol. 37(2).
- Pennerstorfer, Dieter & Weiss, Christoph R., 2006. "On the relative disadvantage of cooperatives," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21308, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Azzeddine Azzam & Hans Andersson, 2008. "Measuring Price Effects of Concentration in Mixed Oligopoly: An Application to the Swedish Beef-slaughter Industry," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 21-31, March.
- Pennerstorfer, Dieter & Weiss, Christoph R., 2011. "Do Cooperatives Offer High Quality Products? Theory and Empirical Evidence from the Wine Market," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 115741, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Michael Higl & Peter Welzel, 2005. "Intra-firm Coordination and Horizontal Merger," Discussion Paper Series 269, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.