Selection and utilization of the early harvest list : evidence from the Free Trade Agreement between China and Taiwan
AbstractIn this paper, we conducted an empirical investigation into the determinants of FTA utilization in exports from Taiwan to China. To do this, we first estimated the selection equation to see what kinds of products are included in the early harvest list. As a result, we found that Taiwan includes products with a medium magnitude of benefits from tariff removal in the early harvest list. Taiwan also includes products for which ASEAN countries have better access to the China market. We then estimated the equation for the determinants of FTA utilization by introducing an inverse of the Mills ratio estimated in the selection equation. The findings are that, as usual, the FTA rates are more likely to be utilized for products with a larger tariff margin. In addition, some rules of origin are found to be relatively restrictive in terms of discouraging trade.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO) in its series IDE Discussion Papers with number 365.
Date of creation: Aug 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in IDE Discussion Paper. No. 365. 2012.8
Postal: Publication Office, IDE 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- F53 - International Economics - - International Relations, National Security, and International Political Economy - - - International Agreements and Observance; International Organizations
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-09 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mayer, Wolfgang, 1984. "Endogenous Tariff Formation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(5), pages 970-85, December.
- Francois, Joseph & Hoekman, Bernard & Manchin, Miriam, 2005.
"Preference erosion and multilateral trade liberalization,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3730, The World Bank.
- Joseph Francois & Bernard Hoekman & Miriam Manchin, 2006. "Preference Erosion and Multilateral Trade Liberalization," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 20(2), pages 197-216.
- Francois, Joseph & Hoekman, Bernard & Manchin, Miriam, 2005. "Preference Erosion and Multilateral Trade Liberalization," CEPR Discussion Papers 5153, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J. Francois & B. Hoekman & M. Manchin, 2005. "Preference Erosion and Multilateral Trade Liberalization," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-073/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Joseph Francois & B. Hoekman & M. Manchin, 2005. "Preference Erosion and Multilateral Trade Liberalization," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp87, IIIS.
- Céline Carrere & Olivier Cadot & Jaime Melo De & Bolormaa Tumurchudur, 2011.
"Product Specific Rules of Origin in EU and US Preferential Trading Arrangements: An Assessment,"
- Cadot, Olivier & Carrere, Celine & De Melo, Jaime & Tumurchudur, Bolormaa, 2006. "Product-specific rules of origin in EU and US preferential trading arrangements: an assessment," World Trade Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(02), pages 199-224, July.
- Olivier CADOT & Jaime MELO DE & Céline CARRERE & Bolormaa TUMURCHUDUR, 2005. "Product Specific Rules of Origin in EU and US Preferential Trading Arrangements: An Assessment," Working Papers 200508, CERDI.
- Pincus, J J, 1975. "Pressure Groups and the Pattern of Tariffs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(4), pages 757-78, August.
- Kun-Ming Chen & Meng-Chia Tsai & Chia-Ching Lin & Chaw-hsia Tu, 2009. "Impact of Cross-Strait Trade Liberalization: A Computable General Equilibrium Analysis," China & World Economy, Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 17(6), pages 106-122.
- Jean-Christophe Bureau & Raja Chakir & Jacques Gallezot, 2007. "The Utilisation of Trade Preferences for Developing Countries in the Agri-food Sector," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 175-198, 06.
- Tsai-Lung Hong & Chih-Hai Yang, 2011. "The Economic Cooperation Framework Agreement between China and Taiwan: Understanding Its Economics and Politics," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 10(3), pages 79-96, October.
- Svetlana Demidova & Kala Krishna, 2007.
"Firm Heterogeneity and Firm Behavior with Conditional Policies,"
NBER Working Papers
12950, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Demidova, Svetlana & Krishna, Kala, 2008. "Firm heterogeneity and firm behavior with conditional policies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 122-128, February.
- Bombardini, Matilde, 2008. "Firm heterogeneity and lobby participation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 329-348, July.
- Hayakawa, Kazunobu, 2011. "Measuring fixed costs for firms’ use of a free trade agreement: Threshold regression approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 113(3), pages 301-303.
- Kishore Gawande & Pravin Krishna & Michael J. Robbins, 2006.
"Foreign Lobbies and U.S. Trade Policy,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 88(3), pages 563-571, August.
- Jean-Christophe Bureau & Raja Chakir & Jacques Gallezot, 2007.
"The Utilisation of EU and US Trade Preferences for Developing Countries in the Agri-Food Sector,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Bureau, Jean-Christophe & Chakir, Raja & Gallezot, Jacques, 2006. "The Utilisation of EU and US Trade Preferences for Developing Countries in the Agri-Food Sector," Working Papers 18867, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Miriam Manchin, 2006.
"Preference Utilisation and Tariff Reduction in EU Imports from ACP Countries,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(9), pages 1243-1266, 09.
- Miriam Manchin, 2004. "Preference Utilisation and Tariff Reduction in EU Imports from ACP Countries," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-132/2, Tinbergen Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Kobayashi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.