Evaluating the Effect of Ownership Status on Hospital Quality: The Key Role of Innovative Procedures
AbstractMortality differences between university, non-teaching public and for-profit hospitals are investigated using a French exhaustive administrative dataset on patients admitted for heart attack. Our results show that innovative procedures play a key role in explaining the effect of ownership status on hospital quality. When age, sex, diagnoses and co-morbidities are held constant, the mortality rates in for-profit and university hospitals are similar, but they are lower than in public non-teaching hospitals. When additionally controlling for innovative procedures, the mortality rate is higher in for-profit hospitals than in the two groups of public hospitals. This suggests that the quality of care in for-profit hospitals relies on innovative procedures and that, after controlling for case-mix and innovative treatments, there is a better quality of care in public hospitals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 7082.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Other versions of this item:
- Gobillon, Laurent & Milcent, Carine, 2013. "Evaluating the effect of ownership status on hospital quality: the key role of innovative procedures," CEPR Discussion Papers 9272, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Production
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-01-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2013-01-07 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-HEA-2013-01-07 (Health Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lien, Hsien-Ming & Chou, Shin-Yi & Liu, Jin-Tan, 2008. "Hospital ownership and performance: Evidence from stroke and cardiac treatment in Taiwan," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1208-1223, September.
- Ho, Vivian, 2002. "Learning and the evolution of medical technologies: the diffusion of coronary angioplasty," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 873-885, September.
- Cutler, David M. & Huckman, Robert S., 2003.
"Technological development and medical productivity: the diffusion of angioplasty in New York state,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 187-217, March.
- David M. Cutler & Robert S. Huckman, 2002. "Technological Development and Medical Productivity: The Diffusion of Angioplasty in New York State," NBER Working Papers 9311, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark G. Duggan, 2000.
"Hospital Ownership And Public Medical Spending,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 115(4), pages 1343-1373, November.
- Laurent Gobillon & Thierry Magnac & Harris Selod, 2011.
"The effect of location on finding a job in the Paris region,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(7), pages 1079-1112, November.
- Laurent Gobillon & Thierry Magnac & Harris Selod, 2007. "The Effect of Location on Finding a Job in the Paris Region," Working Papers 2007-05, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Gobillon, Laurent & Magnac, Thierry & Selod, Harris, 2007. "The Effect of Location on Finding a Job in the Paris Region," IDEI Working Papers 433, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised Mar 2009.
- GOBILLON Laurent & MAGNAC Thierry & SELOD Harris, 2007. "The effect of location on finding a job in the Paris region," Research Unit Working Papers 0703, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- Gobillon, Laurent & Magnac, Thierry & Selod, Harris, 2007. "The Effect of Location on Finding a Job in the Paris Region," CEPR Discussion Papers 6199, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mark McClellan & Douglas Staiger, 1999. "The Quality of Health Care Providers," NBER Working Papers 7327, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David M. Cutler & Mark McClellan, 1996. "The Determinants of Technological Change in Heart Attack Treatment," NBER Working Papers 5751, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cutler, David & Huckman, Robert, 2003. "Technological Development and Medical Productivity: The Diffusion of Angioplasty in New York State," Scholarly Articles 2664291, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Ridder, G. & Tunali, I., 1997.
"Stratified Partial Likelihood Estimation,"
1997/17, Koc University.
- Daniel Kessler & Mark McClellan, 2001. "The Effects of Hospital Ownership on Medical Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8537, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.