Perspectives on the Early Retirement Decisions of Farming Couples
AbstractIn the past decade, the European agricultural sector has undergone rapid structural change. Part of that change is manifested in extended early retirement plans. As pensions play a crucial role in determining the characteristics the change, it is important to establish the factors determining the exit from farming among elderly farmers. This study analyses the choice of pension scheme of farmers. The focus is on the effects of farm and off-farm incomes and various offered economic incentives on farmers’ retirement decisions. The results provide valuable information concerning evaluation of existing programmes and the design of future retirement systems and policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 1342.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J26 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Retirement; Retirement Policies
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-10-21 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ashok K. Mishra & Barry K. Goodwin, 1997. "Farm Income Variability and the Supply of Off-Farm Labor," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 880-887.
- Ayal Kimhi & Noga Nachlieli, 2001.
"Intergenerational Succession on Israeli Family Farms,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 42-58.
- Kimhi, Ayal & Nachlieli, Noga, 1998. "Intergenerational Succession In Israeli Family Farms," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20811, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Glauben, Thomas & Tietje, Hendrik & Weiss, Christoph R., 2002. "Intergenerational Succession on Family Farms: Evidence from Survey Data," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24918, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kimhi, Ayal & Bollman, Ray, 1999. "Family farm dynamics in Canada and Israel: the case of farm exits," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 69-79, August.
- Stephan J. Goetz & David L. Debertin, 2001. "Why Farmers Quit: A County-Level Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 1010-1023.
- Renard, Didier & Molenberghs, Geert & Geys, Helena, 2004. "A pairwise likelihood approach to estimation in multilevel probit models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 649-667, January.
- Fengxia Dong & David A. Hennessy & Helen H. Jensen, 2008.
"Contract and Exit Decisions in Finisher Hog Production,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
08-wp469, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Fengxia Dong & David A. Hennessy & Helen H. Jensen, 2010. "Contract and Exit Decisions in Finisher Hog Production," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(3), pages 667-684.
- Dong, Fengxia & Hennessy, David A. & Jensen, Helen H., 2010. "Contract and Exit Decisions in Finisher Hog Production," Staff General Research Papers 31302, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Dong, Fengxia & Hennessy, David A. & Jensen, Helen H., 2009. "Contract and Exit Decisions in Finisher Hog Production," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49343, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.