Training and the Density of Economic Activity: Evidence from Italy
AbstractWe use a search and matching model to investigate the economic relationship between training and local economic conditions. We identify two aspects of this relationship going in opposite directions: on the one hand, the complementarity between local knowledge spillovers and training generates a positive correlation with local density; on the other hand, the negative influence of higher wages in denser areas reduces training. Overall the relationship can be either positive or negative, depending on the relative strength of the two effects. Our empirical analysis, based on a sample of Italian firms, shows that training is lower in provinces with higher labor market density, measured as the number of employees per squared kilometer. This empirical result confirms previous evidence by Brunello and Gambarotto (2004) based on UK data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 1173.
Length: 45 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2004
Date of revision:
Publication status: published in: Labour Economics, 2008, 15 (1), 118-140
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-07-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2004-07-04 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-LAB-2004-07-04 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-LTV-2004-07-04 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
- NEP-URE-2004-07-04 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Brunello, Giorgio & Gambarotto, Francesca, 2007.
"Do spatial agglomeration and local labor market competition affect employer-provided training? Evidence from the UK,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Giorgio Brunello & Francesca Gambarotto, 2006. "Do Spatial Agglomeration and Local Labor Market Competition Affect Employer - Provided Training? Evidence from the UK," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0018, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Samuel Muehlemann & Stefan C. Wolter, 2006.
"Regional Effects on Employer Provided Training: Evidence from Apprenticeship Training in Switzerland,"
Economics of Education Working Paper Series
0001, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Muehlemann, Samuel & Wolter, Stefan C., 2007. "Regional effects on employer-provided training: Evidence fromapprenticeship training in Switzerland," Zeitschrift für ArbeitsmarktForschung - Journal for Labour Market Research, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 40(2/3), pages 135-147.
- Samuel Muehlemann & Stefan C. Wolter, 2006. "Regional Effects on Employer Provided Training: Evidence from Apprenticeship Training in Switzerland," CESifo Working Paper Series 1665, CESifo Group Munich.
- Uschi Backes-Gellner & Johannes Mure, 2005. "The Skill-Weights Approach on Firm Specific Human Capital: Empirical Results for Germany," Working Papers 0056, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU), revised Apr 2005.
- repec:iab:iabzaf:v:40:i:2/3:p:135-147 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bassanini, Andrea & Booth, Alison L. & Brunello, Giorgio & De Paola, Maria & Leuven, Edwin, 2005. "Workplace Training in Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 1640, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Giorgio Brunello, 2006. "Workplace Training and Labour Market Institutions in Europe," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 4(4), pages 33-41, 02.
- Giorgio Brunello & Maria De Paola, 2004. "Market Failures and the Under-Provision of Training," CESifo Working Paper Series 1286, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.