Discrimination in second hand consumer markets: evidence from a field experiment
AbstractThis paper studies discrimination against immigrants in the consumer market in Spain. We send emails of fictitious buyers to a popular Spanish second hand market webpage similar to ebay. Sellers are approached randomly by buyers with Spanish native or foreign sounding names to signal their ethnic origin. We find that those buyers with a foreign sounding name are contacted around 7.8 percentage points less than those with a Spanish sounding name. We then turn to explore how the price of the advertised good influences the degree of discrimination against foreign sounding names. We find that differential treatment across names occurs with more intensity for cheaper goods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie) in its series Working Papers. Serie AD with number 2011-09.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by Ivie
discrimination; second hand consumer market; field experiment.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J15 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Minorities, Races, Indigenous Peoples, and Immigrants; Non-labor Discrimination
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
- C93 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - Field Experiments
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-EXP-2011-04-23 (Experimental Economics)
- NEP-MIG-2011-04-23 (Economics of Human Migration)
- NEP-MKT-2011-04-23 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cuberes, David & Dougan, William, 2009.
"How Endogenous Is Money? Evidence from a New Microeconomic Estimate,"
17744, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Cuberes & William R. Dougan, 2010. "How Endogenous Is Money? Evidence from a New Microeconomic Estimate," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-08, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Pierre-Andr� Chiappori & Sonia Oreffice & Climent Quintana-Domeque, 2012.
"Fatter Attraction: Anthropometric and Socioeconomic Matching on the Marriage Market,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 120(4), pages 659 - 695.
- Pierre Chiapore & Climent Quintana Domeque & Sonia Oreffice, 2010. "Fatter attraction: anthropometric and socieconomic matching on the marriage market," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-23, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Pierre-André Chiappori & Sonia Oreffice & Climent Quintana-Domeque, 2010. "Fatter Attraction: Anthropometric and Socioeconomic Matching on the Marriage Market," Working Papers 2011-012, Human Capital and Economic Opportunity Working Group.
- Pierre-Andre Chiappori & Sonia Oreffice & Climent Quintana-Domeque, 2011. "Fatter Attraction: Anthropometric and Socioeconomic Matching on the Marriage Market," Discussion Papers 1011-06, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Sonia Oreffice & Climent Quintana, 2009.
"Anthropometry and Socioeconomics in the Couple: Evidence from the PSID,"
- Climent Quintana Domeque & Sonia Oreffice, 2010. "Anthropometry and socioeconomics in the couple: evidence from the PSID," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-16, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Marco van der Leij & Sanjeev Goyal, 2006.
"Strong Ties in a Small World,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
06-008/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- José J. Sempere Monerris & Rafael Moner Colonques & Amparo Urbano Salvador, 2010. "Trade liberalization in vertically related markets," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-09, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.