Theory and Measurement of Producer Response Under Quotas (The)
AbstractTobin and Houthakker's (1950-51) work on consumer behavior under quantity rationing has been extended by many authors, especially through the use of duality theory. This paper uses duality theory to extend the work on demand theory under rationing to the case of producer behavior under quotas. These results permit estimation of otherwise unobservable market supply and demand structures. The structure of the farm economy operating under a tobacco quota system is estimated, and the theory is utilized to infer that the supply elasticity of tobacco would be about 7.0 if the quotas were removed. Estimates such as this are not normally attainable without the theory outlined here, even though they are essential for the evaluation of policy changes.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 778.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 1993
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Review of Economics and Statistics 1993, vol. 75 no. 1, pp. 97-106
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin, 1992. "Theory and Measurement of Producer Response under Quotas, The," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 92-wp94, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin, 1992. "Theory and Measurement of Producer Response under Quotas, The," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 92-wp94, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jongeneel, Roelof A. & Ge, Lan, 2005. "Explaining Growth in Dutch Agriculture: Prices, Public R&D, and Technological Change," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24573, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Daniel J. Phaneuf & Catherine L. Kling & Joseph A. Herriges, 2000.
"Estimation and Welfare Calculations in a Generalized Corner Solution Model with an Application to Recreation Demand,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 82(1), pages 83-92, February.
- Phaneuf, Daniel J. & Kling, Catherine L. & Herriges, Joseph A., 2000. "Estimation and Welfare Calculations in a Generalized Corner Solution Model with an Application to Recreation Demand," Staff General Research Papers 1355, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Daniel J. Phaneuf & Catherine L. Kling & Joseph A. Herriges, 1998. "Estimation and Welfare Calculations in a Generalized Corner Solution Model with an Application to Recreation Demand," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 99-wp207, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Aldanondo, Ana Maria & Puertolas, Javier, 2002. "International Quota Transfer and Intermediate Goods," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24851, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tiller, Kelly & Feleke, Shiferaw T. & Starnes, Jane H., 2011. "Economic Welfare Effects of the FDA Regulation of Tobacco Products on Tobacco Growers," Review of Applied Economics, Review of Applied Economics, vol. 7(1-2).
- F. Bonnieux & P. Rainelli & D. Vermersch, 1998. "Estimating the Supply of Environmental Benefits by Agriculture: A French Case Study," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 11(2), pages 135-153, March.
- Plastina, Alejandro S. & Fulginiti, Lilyan E., 2009.
"Rates of Return to Public Agricultural Research in 48 U.S. States,"
2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China
51709, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Alejandro Plastina & Lilyan Fulginiti, 2012. "Rates of return to public agricultural research in 48 US states," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 95-113, April.
- Plastina, Alejandro S. & Fulginiti, Lilyan E., 2007. "Rates of Return to Public Agricultural Research in 48 U.S. States," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9858, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Raper, Kellie Curry & Love, H. Alan, 1999. "MONOPSONY POWER IN MULTIPLE INPUT MARKETS: A Nonparametric Approach," Staff Papers 11656, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Sckokai, Paolo, 2001. "The Common Agricultural Policy In Econometric Models," Working Papers 14800, National Institute of Agricultural Economics, Italy INEA, Osservatorio Sulle Politiche Agricole dell'UE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.