Non-Tariff Measures with Market Imperfections: Trade and Welfare Implications
AbstractThis book presents new developments in non tariff measure (NTM) policy analysis by leading authors in the field, from conceptual developments and methodology improvements, to a series of innovative cases studies. A novel policy research agenda underlies the book recognizing that some NTMs are required to sustain market exchange. The investigations address the welfare and trade impacts of standard-like NTMs in presence of market imperfections, their measurements, potential protectionism, and implications for North-South trade and income prospects in developing countries, including for small holders. Several analyses address the potential trade-cost effects of these NTMs through their lack of transparency, their heterogeneity across countries, and constraints to harmonize them and gains from harmonization. Certification is also analyzed in two chapters, one looking at private standards and heterogeneous firms in a developing country context, and the other exploring certification and cooperation in certification for a panel of countries. Several analyses investigate trade within OECD countries, including looking at export decisions by heterogeneous firms and the effect of harmonization of standards on firm productivity, and exploring the export-enhancing effect of a countryâ€™s own stringency in standards. Practical policy implications are drawn. TOC and summary findings are presented here.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 35923.
Date of creation: 30 Apr 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
sanitary and phytosanitary; certification; Non-tariff measures (NTMs); SPS; market imperfection; transparency; stringency; harmonization;
Other versions of this item:
- Beghin, John C., 2012. "Non Tariff Measures with Market Imperfections: Trade and Welfare Implications," 2012: New Rules of Trade?, December 2012, San Diego, California 142787, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Drogué, Sophie & DeMaria, Federica, 2012.
"Pesticide residues and trade, the apple of discord?,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 641-649.
- Drogue, Sophie & DeMaria, Federica, 2011. "Pesticides Residues and Trade: the Apple of Discord?," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114445, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fischer, Ronald & Serra, Pablo, 2000.
"Standards and protection,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 377-400, December.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2005.
"Exports and Productivity : A survey of the evidence from firm level data,"
HWWA Discussion Papers
319, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2007. "Exports and Productivity: A Survey of the Evidence from Firm-level Data," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 60-82, 01.
- Joachim Wagner, 2005. "Exports and Productivity: A Survey of the Evidence fro Firm Level Data," International Trade 0504005, EconWPA.
- Joachim Wagner, 2005. "Exports and Productivity: A survey of the evidence from firm level data," Working Paper Series in Economics 4, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Katia Berti & Rod Falvey, . "Does Trade Weaken product Quality Standards?," Discussion Papers 11/24, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- StÃ©phan Marette & John C. Beghin, 2007.
"Are Standards Always Protectionist?,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
07-wp450, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Marette, Stephan & Beghin, John C., 2010. "Are Standards Always Protectionist?," Staff General Research Papers 12826, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- StÃ©phan Marette & John C. Beghin, 2007. "Are Standards Always Protectionist?," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 07-wp450, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Beghin, John C. & David Orden, 2012. "Ntms, Agricultural and Food Trade, and Competitiveness. A Special Issue of The World Economy," Staff General Research Papers 34934, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Xiong, Bo & Beghin, John C., 2012.
"Stringent Maximum Residue Limits, Protectionism, and Competitiveness: The Cases of the US and Canada,"
142384, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Xiong, Bo & Beghin, John C., 2012. "Stringent Maximum Residue Limits, Protectionism, and Competitiveness: The Cases of the US and Canada," Staff General Research Papers 35584, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Schuster, Monica & Maertens, Miet, 2013. "Food Standards, Heterogeneous Firms and Developing Countries’ Export Performance," Working Papers 152084, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centre for Agricultural and Food Economics.
- Schuster, Monica & Maertens, Miet, 2013. "Do private standards create exclusive supply chains? New evidence from the Peruvian asparagus export sector," Working Papers 146557, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centre for Agricultural and Food Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.