Cost-Effective Hazard Control in Food Handling
AbstractWe develop a bioeconomic model to investigate postharvest food quality control. The trade-off between costly intervention and economic damage is studied when economic parameters, such as fixed and variable costs of control, and biological parameters, such as the stochastic rate of contamination and the growth rate of contaminants, are altered. The model can accommodate alternative environmental settings. Regulations through random inspections and through terminal inspections are analyzed. As an illustration, optimal actions to control insect infestations in stored wheat are simulated and found to be in accord with commercial practice.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 1711.
Date of creation: 01 May 1999
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in American Journal of Agricultural Economics, May 1999, vol. 81 no. 2, pp. 359-372
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Elbakidze, Levan & McCarl, Bruce A., 2005. "Ex Ante Vs. Ex Post Bioterrorism Mitigation: Better Safe Than Sorry?," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19191, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Eric Giraud-Héraud & Hakim Hammoudi & Louis-Georges Soler, 2006. "Food Safety, Liability and Collective Norms," Working Papers hal-00243034, HAL.
- Hirschauer, Norbert & Musshoff, Oliver & Scheerer, Sebastian, 2006. "An Interdisciplinary Approach to White-collar Crime in the Food Sector," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25688, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Resende Filho, Moises de Andrade & Buhr, Brian L., 2012.
"Economics of Traceability for Mitigation of Food Recall Costs,"
2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil
126193, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Resende-Filho, Moises & Buhr, Brian, 2007. "Economics of traceability for mitigation of food recall costs," MPRA Paper 3650, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hirschauer, Norbert & Musshoff, Oliver, 2006. "Trust and the Profitability of Rule-Breaking in Grain Production," 99th Seminar, February 8-10, 2006, Bonn, Germany 7754, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Yigezu, Yigezu A. & Alexander, Corinne E. & Preckel, Paul V. & Maier, D.E. & Woloshuk, C.P. & Mason, L.J. & Lawrence, J. & Moog, D.J., 2008.
"Optimal management of molds in stored corn,"
Elsevier, vol. 98(3), pages 220-227, October.
- Yigezu, Yigezu A. & Alexander, Corinne E. & Preckel, Paul V., 2008. "Optimal Management of Molds in Stored Corn," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6572, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Cristina Grazia & Abdelhakim Hammoudi & Oualid Hamza, 2012. "Sanitary and phytosanitary standards: Does consumers’ health protection justify developing countries’ producers’ exclusion?," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 93(2), pages 145-170.
- Hirschauer, Norbert & Musshoff, Oliver, 2007. "A game-theoretic approach to behavioral food risks: The case of grain producers," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 246-265, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.