Economic Growth in the Euro-Med Area through Trade Integration: Focus on Agriculture and Food – The case of Turkey
AbstractIn this study, we analyse the effects of trade liberalization, world price increase of basic staple and productivity growth in agricultural activities on Turkey by using a dynamic CGE model calibrated to 2008 data. The simulation results suggest that Turkish economy is capable of accommodating the adverse effects of trade liberalization. There are significant welfare gains if trade liberalization is accompanied by the CAP payments in the accession scenario. Trade policy turns out to be a strong instrument to stabilize the domestic prices and avoid the adverse effects of world price increase. Productivity increase in agri-food production has prominent effects on welfare and trade.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for Prospective and Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre in its series JRC-IPTS Working Papers with number JRC84201.
Length: 63 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2014
Date of revision:
Trade Liberalization; Dynamic CGE Model; Agriculture; Turkey;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C68 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computable General Equilibrium Models
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
- Q27 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Issues in International Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2014-02-21 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2014-02-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-ARA-2014-02-21 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-CMP-2014-02-21 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-INT-2014-02-21 (International Trade)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aikaterini Kavallari & Marie-Luise Rau & Martine Rutten, 2013. "Economic Growth in the Euro-Med Area through Trade Integration: Focus on Agriculture and Food. Regional impact analysis," JRC-IPTS Working Papers JRC84800, Institute for Prospective and Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Mohamed Ben Abdallah & Abdelkader Ait El Mekki & Gamal Siam, 2013. "Economic Growth in the Euro-Med Area through Trade Integration: Focus on Agriculture and Food. North Africa case studies - Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia," JRC-IPTS Working Papers JRC84801, Institute for Prospective and Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rafael Castillo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.