Expanding Decent Employment in Kenya: The Role of Monetary Policy, Inflation Control, and the Exchange Rate
AbstractThis IPC Country Study by Robert Pollin and James Heintz examines three policy areas related to monetary policies in Kenya: inflation dynamics and the relationship between inflation and long-run growth; monetary policy targets and instruments; and exchange rate dynamics and the country?s external balance. It concludes with five main policy recommendations
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth in its series Country Study with number 6.
Date of creation: Mar 2007
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by UNDP - International Poverty Centre, March 2007, pages 1-53
Poverty; Inflation Control; Exchange Rate;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
- O23 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Fiscal and Monetary Policy in Development
- O17 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Formal and Informal Sectors; Shadow Economy; Institutional Arrangements
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2007-07-07 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2007-07-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2007-07-07 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2007-07-07 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2007-07-07 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Fischer, Stanley, 1993.
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 7(1), pages 1-44, January.
- Easterly, William, 2001. " The Lost Decades: Developing Countries' Stagnation in Spite of Policy Reform 1980-1998," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 135-57, June.
- Damiano Kulundu Manda & Kunal Sen, 2004. "The labour market effects of globalization in Kenya," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(1), pages 29-43.
- Richard C.K. Burdekin & Arthur T. Denzau & Manfred W. Keil & Thitithep Sitthiyot & Thomas D. Willett, .
"When Does Inflation Hurt Economic Growth? Different Nonlinearities for Different Economies,"
Claremont Colleges Working Papers
2000-22, Claremont Colleges.
- Burdekin, Richard C.K. & Denzau, Arthur T. & Keil, Manfred W. & Sitthiyot, Thitithep & Willett, Thomas D., 2004. "When does inflation hurt economic growth? Different nonlinearities for different economies," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 519-532, September.
- Michael Bruno & William Easterly, 1995.
"Inflation Crises and Long-Run Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5209, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2001. "Exchange Rate Regimes, Capital Flows and Crisis Prevention," NBER Working Papers 8529, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Menzie D. Chinn, 2005.
"A Primer on Real Effective Exchange Rates: Determinants, Overvaluation, Trade Flows and Competitive Devaluation,"
NBER Working Papers
11521, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Menzie Chinn, 2006. "A Primer on Real Effective Exchange Rates: Determinants, Overvaluation, Trade Flows and Competitive Devaluation," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 115-143, January.
- Rama, Martin, 1996.
"The consequences of doubling the minimum wage : the case of Indonesia,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1643, The World Bank.
- Martφn Rama, 2001. "The Consequences of doubling the minimum wage: The case of Indonesia," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 54(4), pages 864-881, July.
- Robert Pollin & Andong Zhu, 2006. "Inflation and economic growth: a cross-country nonlinear analysis," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 28(4), pages 593-614, July.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Ioannis Tokatlidis, 2003.
"Financial Liberalisation: The African Experience,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 12(Supplemen), pages 53-88, September.
- A. Senhadji Semlali & Mohsin S. Khan, 2000.
"Threshold Effects in the Relationship Between inflation and Growth,"
IMF Working Papers
00/110, International Monetary Fund.
- By Mohsin S. Khan & Abdelhak S. Senhadji, 2001. "Threshold Effects in the Relationship Between Inflation and Growth," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(1), pages 1.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1987.
"Exchange Rate Misalignment in Developing Countries,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
442, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1989. "Exchange Rate Misalignment in Developing Countries," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 4(1), pages 3-21, January.
- Njuguna S. Ndung’u, 2000. "The Exchange Rate and Monetary Policy in Kenya," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 12(1), pages 24-51.
- Ghura, Dhaneshwar & Grennes, Thomas J., 1993. "The real exchange rate and macroeconomic performance in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 155-174, October.
- Njuguna S. Ndung'U & Rose W. Ngugi, 1999. "Adjustment and liberalization in Kenya: the financial and foreign exchange markets," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(3), pages 465-491.
- Cottani, Joaquin A & Cavallo, Domingo F & Khan, M Shahbaz, 1990. "Real Exchange Rate Behavior and Economic Performance in LDCs," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39(1), pages 61-76, October.
- Paulo Gala & Claudio R. Lucinda, 2006.
"Exchange Rate Misalignment And Growth: Old And New Econometric Evidence,"
Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting]
93, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Paulo Gala & Claudio R. Lucinda, 2006. "Exchange Rate Misalignment and Growth: Old and New Econometric Evidence," Economia, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics], vol. 7(4), pages 165â187.
- Atish Ghosh & Steven Phillips, 1998. "Warning: Inflation May Be Harmful to Your Growth," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(4), pages 672-710, December.
- Roberto Frenkel & Lance Taylor, 2006. "Real Exchange Rate, Monetary Policy and Employment," Working Papers 19, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andre Lyra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.