The role of human capital in lowering barriers to engage in innovation: evidence from the Spanish innovation survey
AbstractThis paper focuses on the role of human capital in attenuating the barriers that block firms from engaging in innovation activities. The paper distinguishes between firms facing deterring barriers to innovation (firms deterred from engaging in innovation activities) and firms confronting revealed barriers (firms that experience barriers alongside their engagement in innovation activities). We investigate whether human capital has a particularly strong impact in lowering barriers among the former group of firms, since a strong skill base is likely to compensate for the lack of previous experience in innovation-related activities or the necessary complementary assets associated to innovation. We draw on four waves of the Spanish Innovation Survey and examine the impact of human capital on three types of obstacles to innovation: cost, knowledge and market obstacles. Results reveal that human capital has a significant impact in attenuating deterring barriers to innovation associated to knowledge shortages and market uncertainties.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by INGENIO (CSIC-UPV) in its series INGENIO (CSIC-UPV) Working Paper Series with number 201206.
Date of creation: 31 Jul 2012
Date of revision: 03 Aug 2012
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Ciudad Politécnica de la Innovación, Edificio *E 4o planta, 46022 Valencia
Phone: +34 963 877 048
Fax: +34 963 877 991
Web page: http://www.ingenio.upv.es/
More information through EDIRC
Barriers to innovation; Innovative firms; Human Capital;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-08-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2012-08-23 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENT-2012-08-23 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-HRM-2012-08-23 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-INO-2012-08-23 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2012-08-23 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-SBM-2012-08-23 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bronwyn Hall & Jacques Mairesse, 2006.
"Empirical studies of innovation in the knowledge-driven economy,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4-5), pages 289-299.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Jacques Mairesse, 2006. "Empirical Studies of Innovation in the Knowledge Driven Economy," NBER Working Papers 12320, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Bronwyn & Mairesse, Jacques, 2006. "Empirical studies of innovation in the knowledge driven economy," MERIT Working Papers 028, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Lin, Zhengxi & Baldwin, John R., 2001.
"Impediments to Advanced Technology Adoption for Canadian Manufacturers,"
Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series
2001173e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Baldwin, John & Lin, Zhengxi, 2002. "Impediments to advanced technology adoption for Canadian manufacturers," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 1-18, January.
- P. Mohnen & F. Palm & S. Loeff & A. Tiwari, 2008.
"Financial Constraints and Other Obstacles: are they a Threat to Innovation Activity?,"
Springer, vol. 156(2), pages 201-214, June.
- Sybrand Schim van der Loeff & Pierre Mohnen & Franz Palm & Amaresh K. Tiwari, 2008. "Financial Constraints and other Obstacles: Are they a Threat to Innovation Activity?," CESifo Working Paper Series 2204, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mohnen, Pierre & Palm, Franz & Schim van der Loeff, Sybrand & Tiwari, Amaresh, 2008. "Financial Constraints and Other Obstacles: Are they a Threat to Innovation Activity?," MERIT Working Papers 006, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Pierre Mohnen & Lars-Hendrick Röller, 2003.
"Complementarities in Innovation Policy,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Pierre Mohnen & Lars-Hendrik Röller, 2000. "Complementarities in Innovation Policy," CIG Working Papers FS IV 00-18, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Mohnen,Pierre & Roeller,Lars-Hendrik, 2003. "Complementarities in Innovation Policy," Research Memorandum 025, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Pierre Mohnen & Lars-Hendrick Röller, 2001. "Complementarities in Innovation Policy," CIRANO Working Papers 2001s-28, CIRANO.
- Mohnen, Pierre & Röller, Lars-Hendrik, 2001. "Complementarities in Innovation Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 2712, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John MacDuffie, 1995. "Human resource bundles and manufacturing performance: Organizational logic and flexible production systems in the world auto industry," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 48(2), pages 197-221, January.
- D’Este, Pablo & Iammarino, Simona & Savona, Maria & von Tunzelmann, Nick, 2012. "What hampers innovation? Revealed barriers versus deterring barriers," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 482-488.
- Baldwin,John R. & Hanel,Petr, 2007.
"Innovation and Knowledge Creation in an Open Economy,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521037136, April.
- Baldwin,John R. & Hanel,Petr, 2003. "Innovation and Knowledge Creation in an Open Economy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521810869, April.
- Schneider, Cedric & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 2008. "On Young Innovative Companies: Why they matter and how (not) to policy support them," Working Papers 04-2008, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Alvin K. Klevorick & Richard C. Levin & Richard R. Nelson & Sidney G. Winter, 1993.
"On the Sources and Significance of Interindustry Differences in Technological Opportunities,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1052, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Klevorick, Alvin K. & Levin, Richard C. & Nelson, Richard R. & Winter, Sidney G., 1995. "On the sources and significance of interindustry differences in technological opportunities," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 185-205, March.
- Chaminade, Cristina & Edquist, Charles, 2005. "From theory to practice: the use of systems of innovation approach in innovation policy," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2005/2, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Cohen, Wesley M & Levinthal, Daniel A, 1989. "Innovation and Learning: The Two Faces of R&D," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 569-96, September.
- Joshua S. Gans & David H. Hsu & Scott Stern, 2000.
"When Does Start-Up Innovation Spur the Gale of Creative Destruction?,"
NBER Working Papers
7851, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua S. Gans & David H. Hsu & Scott Stern, 2002. "When Does Start-Up Innovation Spur the Gale of Creative Destruction?," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 33(4), pages 571-586, Winter.
- Gibbons, Michael & Johnston, Ron, 1974. "The roles of science in technological innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 220-242, November.
- Leiponen, Aija, 2005. "Skills and innovation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(5-6), pages 303-323, June.
- Breschi, Stefano & Malerba, Franco & Orsenigo, Luigi, 2000. "Technological Regimes and Schumpeterian Patterns of Innovation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(463), pages 388-410, April.
- Simona Iammarino & Francesca Sanna-Randaccio & Maria Savona, 2007. "The perception of obstacles to innovation. Multinational and domestic firms in Italy," Working Papers of BETA 2007-12, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Mihir A. Desai & C. Fritz Foley & Kristin J. Forbes, 2008. "Financial Constraints and Growth: Multinational and Local Firm Responses to Currency Depreciations," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(6), pages 2857-2888, November.
- Frederique Savignac, 2008. "Impact Of Financial Constraints On Innovation: What Can Be Learned From A Direct Measure?," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(6), pages 553-569.
- Galia, Fabrice & Legros, Diego, 2004. "Complementarities between obstacles to innovation: evidence from France," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1185-1199, October.
- Dominique Tourigny & Can Le, 2004. "Impediments to innovation faced by Canadian manufacturing firms," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 217-250.
- Criscuolo, Paola & Nicolaou, Nicos & Salter, Ammon, 2012. "The elixir (or burden) of youth? Exploring differences in innovation between start-ups and established firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 319-333.
- Maria Luisa Mancusi & Andrea Vezzulli, 2010. "R&D, Innovation and Liquidity Constraints," KITeS Working Papers 030, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised May 2010.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (François Perruchas).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.