R&D, Innovation and Liquidity Constraints
AbstractWe study the effect of financing constraints on the decision to do R&D and on the level of R&D investment using survey data and complete financial accounting data on a large number of Italian manufacturing SMEs from 2001 to 2003. We use a direct indicator of credit constraints and employ an econometric approach allowing for the existence of binding financing constraints to be endogenously determined. We find that there is a significantly negative effect on the probability to set up R&D activities due to the presence of financing constraints, ceteris paribus. We also find that ignoring the endogeneity of the financing constraints indicator and the sample selection originating from firms not interested in doing R&D induces a bias in the estimated effect, which turns out to be positive and significant. We find the same result when studying the effect of liquidity constraints on R&D spending and are able to show that its reduction of liquidity constraints is largely to be associated with the reduction in the likelihood to do R&D (the R&D participation decision), rather than with a reduced level of investment. Finally, but importantly, firms that are both young and small appear to have additional difficulties in obtaining financing - even after controlling for both size and age - and disply a higher probability of being subject to credit constraints, ceteris paribus.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy in its series KITeS Working Papers with number 030.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: May 2010
Date of revision: May 2010
Contact details of provider:
Postal: via Sarfatti, 25 - 20136 Milano - Italy
Web page: http://www.kites.unibocconi.it/
Postal: E G E A - via R. Sarfatti, 25 - 20136 Milano -Italy
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- C35 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENT-2010-11-06 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-INO-2010-11-06 (Innovation)
- NEP-SBM-2010-11-06 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-TID-2010-11-06 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- José García-Quevedo & Gabriele Pellegrino & Maria Savona, 2014.
"Reviving demand-pull perspectives: The effect of demand uncertainty and stagnancy on R&D strategy,"
SPRU Working Paper Series
2014-09, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- José García-Quevedo & Gabriele Pellegrino & Maria Savona, 2014. "Reviving demand-pull perspectives: the effect of demand uncertainty and stagnancy on R&D strategy," Working Papers 2014/11, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Pellegrino, Gabriele & Savona, Maria, 2013.
"Is money all? Financing versus knowledge and demand constraints to innovation,"
MERIT Working Papers
029, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Gabriele Pellegrino & Maria Savona, 2013. "Is Money All? Financing Versus Knowledge and Demand Constraints to Innovation," SPRU Working Paper Series 2013-01, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Gabriele Pellegrino & Mark J. Maria Savona, 2013. "Is money all? Financing versus knowledge and demand constraints to innovation," Working Papers 2013/21, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Marin,Giovanni & Marzucchi,Alberto & Zoboli,Roberto, 2014.
"SMEs and Barriers to Eco-Innovation in EU: A Diverse Palette of Greens,"
INGENIO (CSIC-UPV) Working Paper Series
201404, INGENIO (CSIC-UPV).
- Giovanni Marin & Alberto Marzucchi & Roberto Zoboli, 2014. "SMEs and Barriers to Eco-Innovation in EU: A Diverse Palette of Greens," SEEDS Working Papers 0614, SEEDS, Sustainability Environmental Economics and Dynamics Studies, revised Apr 2014.
- Agustí Segarra & José García-Quevedo & Mercedes Teruel, 2013.
"Financial constraints and the failure of innovation projects,"
XREAP2013-01, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Mar 2013.
- Segarra Blasco, Agustí, 1958- & García Quevedo, José & Teruel, Mercedes, 2013. "Financial constraints and the failure of innovation projects," Working Papers 2072/211807, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Agustí Segarra & José García-Quevedo & Mercedes Teruel, 2013. "Financial constraints and the failure of innovation projects," Working Papers 2013/11, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- D'Este,Pablo & Rentocchini,Francesco & Vega Jurado,Jaider M., 2012. "The role of human capital in lowering barriers to engage in innovation: evidence from the Spanish innovation survey," INGENIO (CSIC-UPV) Working Paper Series 201206, INGENIO (CSIC-UPV), revised 03 Aug 2012.
- Juan A. Máñez & María E. Rochina-Barrachina & Juan A. Sanchis-Llopis & Oscar Vicente, 2013. "Financial constraints and Spanish manufacturing firms’ R&D and exporting," Working Papers 1324, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- Kadri Männasoo & Jaanika Meriküll, 2011. "How do demand fluctations and credit constraints affect R&D? Evidence from Central, Southern and Eastern Europe," Bank of Estonia Working Papers wp2011-09, Bank of Estonia, revised 19 Jul 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valerio Sterzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.