On Young Innovative Companies: Why they matter and how (not) to policy support them
AbstractRecent policy initiatives in the EU aim at supporting so-called Young Innovative Companies (YICs). This paper provides empirical evidence from German CIS data on the innovative performances of this specific type of firms, supporting why they matter. We first characterize YICs in the sample of innovation active firms. We show that firms that combine newness, smallness and high RD intensity, are rare in the sample of innovative firms, but achieve significantly higher innovative sales than other innovative firms, especially innovative sales that are new to the market. Not surprisingly, YICs view financial constraints, both internal and external, as an important factor hampering their innovation activities, significantly more so than other innovation active firms. This access to finance problem is an often used motive for government intervention. In Germany, subsidies schemes for innovation are general and not particularly targeted at YICs. When assessing the effectiveness of these public funding schemes for our sample firms, we find that they are not effective to increase the innovative sales of YICs, unlike the average innovative firm in our sample.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 04-2008.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Copenhagen Business School, Solbjerg Plads 3 C, 5. sal, DK-2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark
Phone: 38 15 25 75
Fax: 38 15 34 99
Web page: http://www.cbs.dk/departments/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hottenrott H. & Czarnitzki D. & Hall B.H., 2014.
"Patents as quality signals? The implications for financing constraints on R&D,"
MERIT Working Papers
013, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Czarnitzki, Dirk & Hall, Bronwyn H. & Hottenrott, Hanna, 2014. "Patents as quality signals? The implications for financing constraints on R&D," ZEW Discussion Papers 14-023, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Dirk Czarnitzki & Bronwyn H. Hall & Hanna Hottenrott, 2014. "Patents as Quality Signals? The Implications for Financing Constraints on R&D," NBER Working Papers 19947, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Czarnitzki, Dirk & Hall, Bronwyn H. & Hottenrott, Hanna, 2014. "Patents as quality signals? The implications for financing constraints on R&D," DICE Discussion Papers 133, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- D'Este,Pablo & Rentocchini,Francesco & Vega Jurado,Jaider M., 2012. "The role of human capital in lowering barriers to engage in innovation: evidence from the Spanish innovation survey," INGENIO (CSIC-UPV) Working Paper Series 201206, INGENIO (CSIC-UPV), revised 03 Aug 2012.
- Dirk Czarnitzki & Julie Delanote, 2013.
"Young Innovative Companies: the new high-growth firms?,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 22(5), pages 1315-1340, October.
- Czarnitzki, Dirk & Delanote, Julie, 2012. "Young innovative companies: The new high-growth firms?," ZEW Discussion Papers 12-030, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Ansgar Belke & Florian Verheyen, 2013.
"Finance Access of SMEs: What Role for the ECB?,"
ROME Working Papers
201311, ROME Network.
- Ansgar Belke, 2013. "Finance Access of SMEs: What Role for the ECB?," Ruhr Economic Papers 0430, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Ansgar Belke, 2013. "Finance Access of SMEs: What Role for the ECB?," ROME Working Papers 201310, ROME Network.
- Massimo Colombo & Philippe Mustar & Mike Wright, 2010. "Dynamics of Science-based entrepreneurship," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 1-15, February.
- H. T. Tran & E. Santarelli, 2013. "Revisiting Italian Emigration Before the Great War: A Test of the Standard Economic Model," Working Papers wp909, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Pellegrino, Gabriele & Piva, Mariacristina & Vivarelli, Marco, 2009.
"How Do Young Innovative Companies Innovate?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4301, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lars Nondal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.