Poverty estimates in India: Old and new methods, 2004-05
AbstractThis paper provides estimates of poverty and inequality across states as also for different sub-groups of population for 2004-05 by using the old and new methods of the Planning Commission. The new method is critically evaluated with the help of some existing literature and its limitations discussed with regard to doing away with calorie norm, use of median expenditure as a norm for education when the distribution is positively skewed, difficulty in reproducing results for earlier rounds acting as a constraint on comparisons, and using urban poverty ration of the old method as a starting point to decide a consumption basket. More importantly, it discusses the implications on financial transfers across states if the share of poor is only taken into account without accounting for an increase in the total number of poor. Despite these limitations, on grounds of parsimony and prudence the state-specific poverty lines suggested in the new method, as also in the old method, are used to calculate incidence, depth (intensity) and severity (inequality among poor) estimates of poverty for different sub-groups of population, viz., NSS regions, social groups and occupation groups.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India in its series Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers with number 2011-015.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Gen. A. K. Vaidya Marg, Goregaon (E), Mumbai 400065
Phone: (022) 840 0919/20/21
Fax: (022) 840 2752/2026
Web page: http://www.igidr.ac.in
More information through EDIRC
Household type (occupation groups); inequality (Gini); NSS regions; Planning Commission; poverty; rural; social groups; urban;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- I38 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - Government Programs; Provision and Effects of Welfare Programs
- I39 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-09-05 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Srijit Mishra, 2009.
"Poverty and Agrarian Distress in Orissa,"
Development Economics Working Papers
22934, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Srijit Mishra, 2009. "Poverty and agrarian distress in Orissa," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2009-006, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Srijit Mishra, 2009. "Poverty and Agrarian Distress in Orissa," Working Papers id:2259, eSocialSciences.
- V.M. Rao, 2010. "Policy making in India for rural development: data base and indicators for transparency and accountability," International Journal of Economic Policy in Emerging Economies, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 3(3), pages 222-236.
- Durgesh Chandra Pathak, 2010.
"Poverty and inequality in Uttar Pradesh during 1993-94 to 2004-05: A Decomposition analysis,"
Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers
2010-014, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Durgesh Chandra Pathak, 2010. "Poverty and Inequality in Uttar Pradesh during 1993-94 to 2004-05 A Decomposition Analysis," Development Economics Working Papers 23022, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- M. H. Suryanarayana & Dimitri Silva, 2007. "Is Targeting the Poor a Penalty on the Food Insecure? Poverty and Food Insecurity in India," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 89-107.
- repec:pri:rpdevs:1008 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sreenivasan Subramanian, 2010. "Identifying the Income-Poor: Some Controversies in India and Elsewhere," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 46, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Srijit Mishra, 2011. "Food, hunger and ethics," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2011-023, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamprasad M. Pujar).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.