Employment Protection, Labor Market Turnover, and the Effects of Globalization
AbstractA parsimonious search and matching model of the labor market with endogenous separation is embedded in a North-North intermediate goods trade framework. International product market integration leads to redistribution of market shares from 'weak' to 'strong' firms within an industry, implying chances and threats for them, as firms are ex-ante unaware of their relative advantage over the competitor. Opening the economy will therefore increase the dispersion of potential revenues and consequently lead to higher labor market turnover, higher welfare and increased wage inequality, while the effect on employment is ambiguous. Ceteris paribus, the effects are qualitatively similar to decreasing employment protection in form of costly firing restrictions which prevent the economy from reaching a first best allocation. The positive welfare effects of opening to trade are decreasing in the level of firing costs. This can therefore lead to a substantial failure in reaping the benefits from economic integration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for Advanced Studies in its series Economics Series with number 288.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2012
Date of revision:
Postal: Institute for Advanced Studies - Library, Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna, Austria
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- J63 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Turnover; Vacancies; Layoffs
- J65 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment Insurance; Severance Pay; Plant Closings
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-08-23 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elhanan Helpman & Oleg Itskhoki, 2007.
"Labor Market Rigidities, Trade and Unemployment,"
NBER Working Papers
13365, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Felbermayr, Gabriel & Prat, Julien & Schmerer, Hans-Jörg, 2011.
"Globalization and labor market outcomes: Wage bargaining, search frictions, and firm heterogeneity,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20471, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Felbermayr, Gabriel & Prat, Julien & Schmerer, Hans-Jörg, 2011. "Globalization and labor market outcomes: Wage bargaining, search frictions, and firm heterogeneity," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 39-73, January.
- Felbermayr, Gabriel & Prat, Julien & Schmerer, Hans-Jörg, 2008. "Globalization and Labor Market Outcomes: Wage Bargaining, Search Frictions, and Firm Heterogeneity," IZA Discussion Papers 3363, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John Haltiwanger & Adriana Kugler & Maurice Kugler & Alejandro Micco & Carmen Pages, 2004.
"Effects of tariffs and real exchange rates on job reallocation: evidence from Latin America,"
Journal of Economic Policy Reform,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 191-208.
- Haltiwanger, John & Kugler, Adriana & Kugler, Maurice & Micco, Alejandro & PagÃ©s, Carmen, 2004. "Effects of tariffs and real exchange rates on job reallocation: evidence from Latin America," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0410, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- John T. Addison & Paulino Teixeira, 2003.
"The Economics of Employment Protection,"
Journal of Labor Research,
Transaction Publishers, vol. 24(1), pages 85-129, January.
- Messina, Julián & Vallanti, Giovanna, 2006.
"Job Flow Dynamics and Firing Restrictions: Evidence from Europe,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2045, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Julián Messina & Giovanna Vallanti, 2007. "Job Flow Dynamics and Firing Restrictions: Evidence from Europe," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(521), pages 279-301, 06.
- Messina, Julián & Vallanti, Giovanna, 2006. "Job flow dynamics and firing restrictions: evidence from Europe," Working Paper Series 0602, European Central Bank.
- JANSEN, Marion & TURRINI, Alessandro, 1998.
"Job creation, job destruction, and the international division of labour,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1998064, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Marion Jansen & Alessandro Turrini, 2004. "Job Creation, Job Destruction, and the International Division of Labor," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 476-494, 08.
- Jansen, Marion & Turrini, Alessandro Antonio, 2000. "Job Creation, Job Destruction, and the International Division of Labour," CEPR Discussion Papers 2472, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eugene Beaulieu & Vivek Dehejia & Hazrat-Omar Zakhilwal, 2004. "International Trade, Labour Turnover, and the Wage Premium: Testing the Bhagwati-Dehejia Hypothesis for Canada," CESifo Working Paper Series 1149, CESifo Group Munich.
- Reto Foellmi & Josef Zweimüller, .
"Income Distribution and Demand-induced Innovations,"
IEW - Working Papers
212, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Foellmi, Reto & Zweimüller, Josef, 2005. "Income Distribution and Demand-Induced Innovations," CEPR Discussion Papers 4985, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Faggio, Giulia & Konings, Jozef, 2001.
"Job Creation, Job Destruction and Employment Growth in Transition Countries in the 90's,"
IZA Discussion Papers
242, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Faggio, Giulia & Konings, Jozef, 2003. "Job creation, job destruction and employment growth in transition countries in the 90s," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 129-154, June.
- Davidson, Carl & Martin, Lawrence & Matusz, Steven, 1999. "Trade and search generated unemployment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 271-299, August.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Itskhoki, Oleg & Redding, Stephen J., 2009.
"Inequality and Unemployment in a Global Economy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7353, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elhanan Helpman & Oleg Itskhoki & Stephen Redding, 2009. "Inequality and Unemployment in a Global Economy," CEP Discussion Papers dp0940, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Elhanan Helpman & Oleg Itskhoki & Stephen Redding, 2008. "Inequality and Unemployment in a Global Economy," NBER Working Papers 14478, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elhanan Helpman & Oleg Itshoki & Stephen Redding, 2009. "Inequality and unemployment in a global economy," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 25501, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Eduardo Pontual Ribeiro & Carlos Corseuil & Daniel Santos & Paulo Furtado & Brunu Amorim & Luciana Servo & Andre Souza, 2004. "Trade liberalization, the exchange rate and job flows in Brazil," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 209-223.
- John T. Addison & Paulino Teixeira & Jean-Luc Grosso, 2000. "The Effect of Dismissals Protection on Employment: More on a Vexed Theme," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 67(1), pages 105-122, July.
- Jean-Baptiste Michau, 2012. "Optimal labor market policy with search frictions and risk-averse workers," Working Papers hal-00757173, HAL.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877, December.
- Michael W. Klein & Scott Schuh & Robert K. Triest, 2002. "Job creation, job destruction, and international competition: job flows and trade: the case of NAFTA," Working Papers 02-8, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Konrad, Kai A., 2009. "Strategy and Dynamics in Contests," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199549603.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doris Szoncsitz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.