A Meta-Impact Evaluation of Social Housing Programs: The Chilean Case
AbstractThe Chilean's housing policy and programs are one of the most copied amongst the Chilean policies. The homegrown policy was and is considered a vanguard way of approaching housing problems. This paper presents the findings of a meta-evaluation of Chile's Social Housing Programs. We found that, in terms of affordability and housing quality housing needs, the situation has improved overtime, due to an improving enabling economic environment and sustained public intervention. However, the aggregate figures shroud the problems still faced by households in the lowest two income quintiles and, the opening to home-buying private market to underserved households remains a challenge. In terms of welfare impacts of public housing programs, we found that targeting of the programs to lower income quintiles has improved overtime and the effects on housing materiality outcome indicators are positive and significant in most cases. However, in terms of welfare outcome indicators, the impacts of public housing programs are diverse and non-significant in most cases. Finally, we also found that that the search for the "best" program is misplaced, as revealed by the Chilean case, in which different programs introduced and wound down as the size and type of problems and context changes is the preferred option.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank, Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE) in its series OVE Working Papers with number 0207.
Length: 61 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2007
Date of revision:
Housing Finance; Policy Evaluation; Housing Deficit; and Moral Hazard.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H43 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Project Evaluation; Social Discount Rate
- I38 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Government Programs; Provision and Effects of Welfare Programs
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luis Marcano & Inder J. Ruprah, 2008. "An Impact Evaluation of Chile’s Progressive Housing Program," OVE Working Papers 0608, Inter-American Development Bank, Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE).
- Veronica González & Pablo Ibarrarán & Alessandro Maffioli & Sandra Rozo, 2009. "The Impact of Technology Adoption on Agricultural Productivity: The Case of the Dominican Republic," OVE Working Papers 0509, Inter-American Development Bank, Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE).
- Chen, Kaiji, 2009.
"A Life-Cycle Analysis of Social Security with Housing,"
15509, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kaiji Chen, 2010. "A Life-Cycle Analysis of Social Security with Housing," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 13(3), pages 597-615, July.
- Francisca Henriquez, 2009. "Microcrédito y su Impacto: Un Acercamiento con Datos Chilenos," OVE Working Papers 0309, Inter-American Development Bank, Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.