Risk-adjusted poverty in Argentina: measurement and determinants
AbstractThis paper presents a methodology for adjusting measures of income and poverty for the risk faced by a household. The approach draws on the standard economic concept of risk aversion, and it is based on the intuition that households will prefer a steady stream of income to a variable one with the same mean. Relying on a Constant Relative Risk Aversion utility function, we use panel data for Argentina to compute risk-adjusted income and poverty measures. At the aggregate level, we find that taking risk into account substantially increases the poverty headcount. Moreover, a regression analysis suggests that many household characteristics are correlated not only with the average income of the household over time, but also with its variability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 43 (2007)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:9:y:2003:i:3:p:1-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fields, Gary S. & Sanchez Puerta, Maria Laura, 2008.
"Earnings Mobility in Times of Growth and Decline: Argentina from 1996 to 2003,"
Working Paper Series
RP2008/06, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Fields, Gary S. & Sánchez Puerta, María Laura, 2010. "Earnings Mobility in Times of Growth and Decline: Argentina from 1996 to 2003," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 870-880, June.
- Guillermo Cruces & Quentin Wodon, 2003.
"Argentina’s crises and the Poor, 1995-2002,"
Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, vol. 0(1-2), pages 55-96, January-D.
- Guillermo Cruces & Quentin Wodon, 2003. "Argentinas Crises and the Poor, 1995-2002," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 71, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2009-26 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ana Iturriza & Arjun S. Bedi & Robert Sparrow, 2011.
"Unemployment Assistance and Transition to Employment in Argentina,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(4), pages 811 - 837.
- Iturriza, A. & Bedi, A.S. & Sparrow, R.A., 2007. "Unemployment assistance and transition to employment in Argentina," ISS Working Papers - General Series 18747, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Iturriza, Ana & Bedi, Arjun S. & Sparrow, Robert, 2008. "Unemployment Assistance and Transition to Employment in Argentina," IZA Discussion Papers 3579, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bedi, Arjun S. & Iturriza, Ana & Sparrow, Robert, 2009. "Unemployment Assistance and Transition to Employment in Argentina," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Frankfurt a.M. 2009 1, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Nouve, Kofi & Bambio, Yiriyibin & Kabore, Samuel & Wodon, Quentin, 2010.
"Risque et mesures de la pauvreté rurale au Burkina Faso
[Risk and Measures of Rural Poverty in Burkina Faso]," MPRA Paper 34374, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ebru Çaglayan & Naime Irem Kosan & Melek Astar, 2012. "An Empirical Analysis of the Determinants of Household Poverty in Turkey," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 2(1), pages 181-191, March.
- Guillermo Cruces & Quentin T. Wodon, 2003. "Transient and chronic poverty in turbulent times: Argentina 1995-2002," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 9(3), pages 1-12.
- Van Kerm, Philippe, 2009.
"Generalized measures of wage differentials,"
IRISS Working Paper Series
2009-08, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Stefan Dercon & Joseph S. Shapiro, 2007. "Moving On, Staying Behind, Getting Lost: Lessons on poverty mobility from longitudinal data," Economics Series Working Papers GPRG-WPS-075, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Maria Emma Santos, 2012. "Measuring Chronic Poverty," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp052, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.