Mortgage Payment as a Portion of Income: A Better Solution
AbstractWe propose a program that would further promote housing privatization in China. In addition to operating its current Housing Savings Fund program, the government could guarantee loans, with payments capped at affordable levels or spread out over workable payment periods. Such a program would balance efficiency with fairness by encouraging market forces, while addressing practical necessities (lenders’ rights, corruption, labor mobility) so that privatization could relieve the burden on government and taxpayers. Net benefits would arise through the private market’s greater efficiency in managing housing resources.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Asian Real Estate Society in its journal International Real Estate Review.
Volume (Year): 6 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Asia Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Web page: http://www.asres.org/
Postal: Asian Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Vickers & George Yarrow, 1988. "Privatization: An Economic Analysis," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262720116, December.
- Edgar O. Olsen, 2000. "The Cost-Effectiveness of Alternative Methods of Delivering Housing Subsidies," Virginia Economics Online Papers 351, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Ramon Moreno, 2002. "Reforming China's banking system," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue may31.
- Anthony Yanxiang Gu, 2002. "Valuing the Option to Purchase an Asset at a Proportional Discount," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 25(1), pages 99-109.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.