Impacts of Liberalizing the Japanese Pork Market
AbstractThe Japanese pork market is protected by a complex set of restrictions, including a variable levy and an import tariff. The combination of these policies distorts the quantity, price, and form of Japanese pork imports. An important issue relevant to the liberalization of the Japanese pork market is the accurate measurement of the price wedge between Japanese and world pork prices. The analysis indicates that the tariff equivalent of the price wedge over the 1986-88 period was 44 percent. If the tariff equivalent of the price wedge is reduced over a ten-year period, Japanese pork imports are projected to increase by over 39 percent initially and by over 380 percent by 2000. Producer welfare can be maintained by a deficiency payment scheme. A less costly alternative is an industry buffer scheme, which maintains the level of the pork industry for two years and then implements a declining deficiency payment scheme that limits the decrease in production levels to 5 percent per year.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University in its series Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications with number 90-gatt5.
Date of creation: Jul 1991
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Wahl, Thomas I. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Johnson, Stanley R., 1991. "Impacts of Liberalizing the Japanese Pork Market," Staff General Research Papers 401, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Wahl, Thomas I. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Johnson, Stanley R., 1992. "Impacts of Liberalizing the Japanese Pork Market," Staff General Research Papers 481, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Thomas I. Wahl & Dermot J. Hayes & Stanley R. Johnson, 1991. "Impacts of Liberalizing the Japanese Pork Market," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 90-gatt5, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Green, John R. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Khan, Linda & Kihl, Young Whan & Knipe, C. Lynn & Olson, Dennis & Ramaswami, Sridhar & Rust, Robert & Sapp, Stephen G. & Seim, Emerson L. & Wahl, Thomas I. & Clemen, 1990. "Meat Marketing in Japan: A Guide for U.S. Meat Exporting Companies," Staff General Research Papers 539, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Wahl, Thomas I. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Williams, Gary W., 1991. "Dynamic Adjustment in the Japanese Livestock Industry Under Beef Import Liberalization," Staff General Research Papers 474, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Capps, Oral, Jr. & Tsai, Reyfong & Kirby, Raymond & Williams, Gary W., 1994. "A Comparison Of Demands For Meat Products In The Pacific Rim Region," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(01), July.
- Quagrainie, Kwamena K. & Unterschultz, James R. & Jeffrey, Scott R., 2000. "The Impact Of Post-Farmgate Value-Adding On Western Canadian Agriculture," 2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia 36379, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Jeong, Kyeong-Soo & Garcia, Philip & Bullock, David S., 2003. "A statistical method of multi-market welfare analysis applied to Japanese beef policy liberalization," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 237-256, April.
- Buhr, Brian L. & Kim, Hanho, 1997. "Dynamic adjustment in the US beef market with imports," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 17(1), pages 21-34, October.
- Aaron J. Johnson & Catherine A. Durham & Cathy R. Wessells, 1998. "Seasonality in Japanese household demand for meat and seafood," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(4), pages 337-351.
- Suwartini, Endang & Coffin, H. Garth & Gunjal, Kisan, 1997. "Economic welfare analysis of policy-induced structural change in the Indonesian poultry industry," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 237-243, August.
- Unterschultz, James R. & Jeffrey, Scott R. & Quagrainie, Kwamena K., 2000. "Value-Adding 20 Billion By 2005: Impact At The Alberta Farm Gate," Project Report Series 24049, University of Alberta, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.