Producer Services and Manufacturing Productivity: Evidence from Japan Industrial Productivity Database
AbstractAs service sectors account for a growing share of economic activity in advanced economies, economists claim that the quality and cost of producer services supplied by the service sectors are crucial in supporting the competitiveness of manufacturing firms. This paper provides an empirical assessment on this argument by exploring a link between service-sector performance and manufacturing productivity in Japan for the period 1980-2005. Assuming that an improvement in producer services is measured with errors by a price deflator growth of service outputs, I propose an estimation framework in which an observed productivity depends partly on the performance of service sectors weighted by service-input intensities. Robust to a wide range of specifications and alternative indicators of services upgrading, I find little evidence that the service sectors contributed to productivity growth of the manufacturing sector. Thus, my findings do not support the claim that the upgrading of producer services improves manufacturing competitiveness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series with number gd09-076.
Date of creation: Jul 2009
Date of revision:
Producer Services; Service Sector; Productivity; Japan;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
- L80 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-07-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2009-07-28 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-SBM-2009-07-28 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg, 2004.
"Outsourcing, Foreign Ownership, and Productivity: Evidence from UK Establishment-level Data,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 817-832, November.
- Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg, 2003. "Outsourcing, Foreign Ownership and Productivity: Evidence from UK Establishment Level Data," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 361, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Abraham, Katharine G & Taylor, Susan K, 1996.
"Firms' Use of Outside Contractors: Theory and Evidence,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 14(3), pages 394-424, July.
- Katharine G. Abraham & Susan K. Taylor, 1993. "Firms' Use of Outside Contractors: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 4468, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Motohashi, Kazuyuki, 2007.
"Firm-level analysis of information network use and productivity in Japan,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 121-137, March.
- Kazuyuki Motohashi, 2004. "Firm level analysis of information network use and productivity in Japan," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d03-14, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Kazuyuki Motohashi, 2003. "Firm level analysis of information network use and productivity in Japan," Discussion papers 03021, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Francois, Joseph F, 1990. "Producer Services, Scale, and the Division of Labor," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(4), pages 715-29, October.
- Görg, Holger & Hanley, Aoife, 2004. "Does Outsourcing Increase Profitability?," IZA Discussion Papers 1372, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Djankov, Simeon & Freund, Caroline & Pham, Cong S., 2006.
"Trading on time,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3909, The World Bank.
- Nicholas Oulton, 2000.
"Must the growth rate decline? Baumol's unbalanced growth revisited,"
Bank of England working papers
107, Bank of England.
- Oulton, Nicholas, 2001. "Must the Growth Rate Decline? Baumol's Unbalanced Growth Revisited," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(4), pages 605-27, October.
- Arnold, Jens & Javorcik, Beata S. & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2007.
"Does services liberalization benefit manufacturing firms ? Evidence from the Czech Republic,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4109, The World Bank.
- Arnold, Jens M. & Javorcik, Beata S. & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2011. "Does services liberalization benefit manufacturing firms?: Evidence from the Czech Republic," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 136-146, September.
- Thijs Raa & Edward Wolff, 2001. "Outsourcing of Services and the Productivity Recovery in U.S. Manufacturing in the 1980s and 1990s," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 149-165, September.
- Donald Siegel & Zvi Griliches, 1991.
"Purchased Services, Outsourcing, Computers, and Productivity in Manufacturing,"
NBER Working Papers
3678, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donald Siegel & Zvi Griliches, 1992. "Purchased Services, Outsourcing, Computers, and Productivity in Manufacturing," NBER Chapters, in: Output Measurement in the Service Sectors, pages 429-460 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jens Matthias Arnold & Aaditya Mattoo & Gaia Narciso, 2008.
"Services Inputs and Firm Productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa: Evidence from Firm-Level Data,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 17(4), pages 578-599, August.
- Arnold, Jens Matthias & Mattoo, Aaditya & Narciso, Gaia, 2006. "Services inputs and firm productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa : evidence from firm-level data," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4048, The World Bank.
- Limao, Nuno & Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Infrastructure, geographical disadvantage, and transport costs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2257, The World Bank.
- Sanghoon Ahn & Kyoji Fukao & Keiko Ito, 2008. "Outsourcing in East Asia and its impact on the Japanese and Korean Labour Markets," OECD Trade Policy Papers 65, OECD Publishing.
- Karsten Bjerring Olsen, 2006. "Productivity Impacts of Offshoring and Outsourcing: A Review," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2006/1, OECD Publishing.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2008. "Services trade and growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4461, The World Bank.
- Fernandes, Ana M. & Paunov, Caroline, 2008. "Foreign direct investment in services and manufacturing productivity growth: evidence for Chile," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4730, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatsuji Makino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.