Optimal Provision Of Public Inputs In A Second Best Scenario (*)
Abstract. This paper studies the optimal provision of public inputs under two different tax settings: with lump-sum taxes and with taxes on labour. After obtaining the optimality rules for the provision of public inputs, a numerical simulation is carried out to compute the level of public spending in each scenario. We find that a second- best rule has to be followed when lump-sum taxes are not available, even though the labour taxes are set optimally. Another result we obtain is that the level of public input provided under the second best scenario is higher than that corresponding to the first best outcome. The effect of changes to some parameters on the level of public input is also studied.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto de Estudios Fiscales in its series Working Papers with number 17-05 Classification-JEL : H21, H3, H41, H43..
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
public input; optimal taxation.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Triest, Robert K, 1990. "The Relationship between the Marginal Cost of Public Funds and Marginal Excess Burden," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 557-66, June.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Dasgupta, P, 1971.
"Differential Taxation, Public Goods and Economic Efficiency,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(114), pages 151-74, April.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz & Partha Dasgupta, 1970. "Differential Taxation, Public Goods, and Economic Efficiency," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 299, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Charles L. Ballard & Don Fullerton, 1992.
"Distortionary Taxes and the Provision of Public Goods,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 6(3), pages 117-131, Summer.
- Charles L. Ballard & Don Fullerton, 1993. "Distortionary Taxes and the Provision of Public Goods," NBER Working Papers 3506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gaube, Thomas, 2000. "When do distortionary taxes reduce the optimal supply of public goods?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 151-180, May.
- Lars Hokonsen, 1998. "An Investigation into Alternative Representations of the Marginal Cost of Public Funds," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 329-343, July.
- Schob, Ronnie, 1994. "On Marginal Cost and Marginal Benefit of Public Funds," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 49(1), pages 87-106.
- Fidel Picos Sánchez, . "Modelo Dual De Irpf Y Equidad: Un Nuevo Enfoque Teórico Y Su Aplicación Al Caso Español," Working Papers 8-04 Classification-JEL :, Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Miguel Ángel López García, .
"La Vivienda Y La Reforma Fiscal De 1998: Un Ejercicio De Simulación(*),"
7-04 Classification-JEL :, Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Miguel-Angel López García, 2005. "La vivienda y la reforma fiscal de 1998: un ejercicio de simulación," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 175(4), pages 123-147, december.
- Aronsson, Thomas & Sjögren, Tomas, 2001. "Income Taxation, Commodity Taxation and Provision of Public Goods under Labor Market Distortions," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 568, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Liqun Liu, 2004. "The Marginal Cost of Funds and the Shadow Prices of Public Sector Inputs and Outputs," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Ming Chang, 2000. "Rules and Levels in the Provision of Public Goods: The Role of Complementarities between the public Good and Taxed Commodities," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 83-91, February.
- José María Arranz & Carlos García-Serrano, . "¿Qué Ha Sucedido Con La Estabilidad Del Empleo En España?. Un Análisis Desagregado Con Datos De La Epa: 1987-2003(*)," Working Papers 4-04 Classification-JEL :, Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Stern, N H, 1974. "Pigou, Taxation and Public Goods," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 119-28, January.
- Wildasin, David E, 1984. "On Public Good Provision with Distortionary Taxation," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(2), pages 227-43, April.
- James P. Feehan & Mutsumi Matsumoto, 2000. "Productivity-enhancing public investment and benefit taxation: the case of factor-augmenting public inputs," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(1), pages 114-121, February.
- Dahlby, Bev & Wilson, Leonard S., 2003. "Vertical fiscal externalities in a federation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(5-6), pages 917-930, May.
- Feehan, James P, 1989. "Pareto-Efficiency with Three Varieties of Public Input," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 44(2), pages 237-48.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Olga Cantó Sánchez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Olga Cantó Sánchez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.