Rules and Levels in the Provision of Public Goods: The Role of Complementarities between the public Good and Taxed Commodities
AbstractThis paper revisits the question of whether the second-best level of public good provision is lower than the first-best level in a standard model of public good provision with identical consumers. The role played by the complementarities between the public good and the private commodities is clarified. Furthermore, it is shown that the second-best level is indeed below the first-best level if the Hicksian demands for the taxed commodities are independent of the level of public good provision. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal International Tax and Public Finance.
Volume (Year): 7 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102915
public final good; second best; complementarity; Ramsey taxation;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles L. Ballard & Don Fullerton, 1993.
"Distortionary Taxes and the Provision of Public Goods,"
NBER Working Papers
3506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles L. Ballard & Don Fullerton, 1992. "Distortionary Taxes and the Provision of Public Goods," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(3), pages 117-131, Summer.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Stern, N H, 1974. "Pigou, Taxation and Public Goods," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 119-28, January.
- Batina, Raymond G., 1990. "On the interpretation of the modified samuelson rule for public goods in static models with heterogeneity," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 125-133, June.
- King, Mervyn A., 1986. "A pigovian rule for the optimum provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 273-291, August.
- Douglas Wilson, John, 1991. "Optimal public good provision in the Ramsey tax model : A generalization," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 57-61, January.
- Ming Chang, 1996. "Ramsey pricing in a hierarchical structure with an application to network-access pricing," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 64(3), pages 281-314, October.
- Wilson, John Douglas, 1991. "Optimal Public Good Provision with Limited Lump-Sum Taxation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 153-66, March.
- Wildasin, David E, 1984. "On Public Good Provision with Distortionary Taxation," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(2), pages 227-43, April.
- Diamond, Peter A & Mirrlees, James A, 1971. "Optimal Taxation and Public Production: I--Production Efficiency," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 8-27, March.
- Ming Chang & Hsiao-Ping Peng, 2012. "Laffer effect, gross substitution, marginal cost of public funds and the level property of public good provision," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 19(5), pages 650-659, October.
- Diego Martínez López & A. Jesús Sánchez Fuentes, . "Optimal Provision Of Public Inputs In A Second Best Scenario (*)," Working Papers 17-05 Classification-JEL , Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:8:y:2006:i:4:p:1-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Clive Fraser & Ali al-Nowaihi, 2006.
"Comparing the first-best and second-best provision of a club good: an example,"
AccessEcon, vol. 8(4), pages 1-6.
- Ali al-Nowaihi & Clive Fraser, . "Comparing the First-Best and Second-Best Provision of a Club Good: An Example," Discussion Papers in Public Sector Economics 01/8, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- José Manuel González-Páramo & Diego Martínez López, 2002. "Provisión eficiente de inversión pública financiada con impuestos distorsionantes," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2002/08, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- A. Jesus Sanchez Fuentes & Diego Martinez Lopez, 2008.
"Optimization in non-standard problems. An application to the provision of public inputs,"
08.07, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- A. Sanchez & Diego Martinez, 2011. "Optimization in Non-Standard Problems. An Application to the Provision of Public Inputs," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 37(1), pages 13-38, January.
- Diego Martinez-Lopez, 2004. "The optimal provision of public inputs in a second best scenario," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 8(3), pages 1-9.
- Ronald Wendner, 2011.
"Ramsey, Pigou, heterogenous agents, and non-atmospheric consumption externalities,"
Graz Economics Papers
2012-01, University of Graz, Department of Economics.
- Wendner, Ronald, 2011. "Ramsey, Pigou, heterogenous agents, and non-atmospheric consumption externalities," MPRA Paper 35015, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thomas Gaube, 2005. "Financing Public Goods with Income Taxation: Provision Rules vs. Provision Level," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 319-334, May.
- Wendner, Ronald & Goulder, Lawrence H., 2008. "Status Effects, Public Goods Provision, and the Excess Burden," MPRA Paper 8260, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Diego Martinez Lopez & A. Jesus Sanchez Fuentes, 2006. "On the optimal level of public inputs," Working Papers 06.34, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2008.
- Wendner, Ronald, 2010. "Ramsey, Pigou, and a Consumption Externality," MPRA Paper 21356, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- A. Jesus Sanchez Fuentes & Diego Martinez Lopez, 2006. "A new approach to solve non-regular constrained optimization problems. An application to optimal provision of public inputs," Working Papers 06.35, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:8:y:2004:i:3:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wendner, Ronald, 2008. "Consumption Externalities and Pigouvian Ranking -- A Generalized Cobb-Douglas Example," MPRA Paper 8540, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wendner, Ronald & Goulder, Lawrence H., 2008. "Status effects, public goods provision, and excess burden," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(10-11), pages 1968-1985, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.