The Foreign Exchange Exposure of Chinese Banks
AbstractUsing the Capital Market Approach and equity-price data of 14 listed Chinese banks, this empirical study finds that there is a positive relationship between bank size and foreign-exchange exposure, which may reflect larger foreign-exchange operations and trading positions of larger Chinese banks, and their significant indirect foreign-exchange exposure arising from impacts of the renminbi exchange-rate movements on their customers. Empirical evidence also suggests that the average foreign-exchange exposures of state-owned and joint-stock commercial banks in China are higher than those of banks in Hong Kong, notwithstanding that their participation in international banking businesses is still limited compared with their Hong Kong counterparts. It is also found that negative foreign-exchange exposure is prevalent for larger Chinese banks, suggesting that an appreciation of the renminbi tends to reduce their equity values, and is therefore likely to hamper the banking sector¡¦s performance. Together with the fact that decreases in equity values generally imply higher default risk, how Chinese banks would be affected under different scenarios of renminbi appreciation should be closely monitored.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hong Kong Monetary Authority in its series Working Papers with number 0807.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 55th Floor, Two International Finance Centre, 8 Finance Street, Central
Web page: http://www.info.gov.hk/hkma/
More information through EDIRC
Foreign exchange exposure; banking; China;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-07-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2008-07-30 (Banking)
- NEP-CNA-2008-07-30 (China)
- NEP-TRA-2008-07-30 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- White, Halbert & Domowitz, Ian, 1984. "Nonlinear Regression with Dependent Observations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(1), pages 143-61, January.
- Mitchell, Karlyn, 1989. "Interest Rate Risk at Commercial Banks: An Empirical Investigation," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 24(3), pages 431-55, August.
- Martin, Anna D. & Mauer, Laurence J., 2005. "A note on common methods used to estimate foreign exchange exposure," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 125-140, April.
- Pennacchi, George G, 1987. "A Reexamination of the Over- (or Under-) Pricing of Deposit Insurance," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 19(3), pages 340-60, August.
- Edward J. Kane & Haluk Unal, 1988. "Change in Market Assessments of Deposit-Institution Riskiness," NBER Working Papers 2530, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jung, Kooyul & Yong-Cheol, Kim & Stulz, Rene M., 1996. "Timing, investment opportunities, managerial discretion, and the security issue decision," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 159-185, October.
- Choi, Jongmoo Jay & Elyasiani, Elyas & Kopecky, Kenneth J., 1992. "The sensitivity of bank stock returns to market, interest and exchange rate risks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 983-1004, September.
- Martin, Anna D., 2000. "Exchange rate exposure of the key financial institutions in the foreign exchange market," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 267-286, July.
- Susan Ryan & Andrew C. Worthington, 2002. "Time-Varying Market, Interest Rate and Exchange Rate Risk in Australian Bank Portfolio Stock Returns: A Garch-M Approach," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 112, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Martin, Anna D. & Mauer, Laurence J., 2003. "Exchange rate exposures of US banks: A cash flow-based methodology," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 851-865, May.
- Bae, Sung C, 1990. "Interest Rate Changes and Common Stock Returns of Financial Institutions: Revisited," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 13(1), pages 71-79, Spring.
- Wetmore, Jill L & Brick, John R, 1994. "Commercial Bank Risk: Market, Interest Rate, and Foreign Exchange," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 17(4), pages 585-96, Winter.
- Chamberlain, Sandra & Howe, John S. & Popper, Helen, 1997. "The exchange rate exposure of U.S. and Japanese banking institutions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 871-892, June.
- Giliberto, Michael, 1985. "Interest Rate Sensitivity in the Common Stocks of Financial Intermediaries: A Methodological Note," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(01), pages 123-126, March.
- Grammatikos, Theoharry & Saunders, Anthony & Swary, Itzhak, 1986.
" Returns and Risks of U.S. Bank Foreign Currency Activities,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 41(3), pages 671-82, July.
- Theoharry Grammatikos & Anthony Saunders & Itzhak Swary, 1986. "Returns and risks of U.S. bank foreign currency activities," Working Papers 86-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Muller, Aline & Verschoor, Willem F.C., 2006. "Foreign exchange risk exposure: Survey and suggestions," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 385-410, October.
- Alexander, Gordon J & Eun, Cheol S & Janakiramanan, S, 1987. " Asset Pricing and Dual Listing on Foreign Capital Markets: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(1), pages 151-58, March.
- Aharony, Joseph & Swary, Itzhak, 1983. "Contagion Effects of Bank Failures: Evidence from Capital Markets," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56(3), pages 305-22, July.
- Sahminan, Sahminan, 2007. "Effects of exchange rate depreciation on commercial bank failures in Indonesia," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 175-193, July.
- Joon-Ho Hahm, 2004. "Interest rate and exchange rate exposures of banking institutions in pre-crisis Korea," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(13), pages 1409-1419.
- Wang, Steven Shuye & Jiang, Li, 2004. "Location of trade, ownership restrictions, and market illiquidity: Examining Chinese A- and H-shares," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1273-1297, June.
- Flannery, Mark J & James, Christopher M, 1984. " The Effect of Interest Rate Changes on the Common Stock Returns of Financial Institutions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1141-53, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Chan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.