Teaching Economics as a Science: the 1930 Yale Lectures of Ragnar Frisch
AbstractThis paper is prepared for the forthcoming publication of Frisch’s 1930 Yale lecture notes, A Dynamic Approach to Economic Theory: The Yale Lectures of Ragnar Frisch (details at: http://www.routledgeeconomics.com/books/A-Dynamic-Approach-to-Economic-Theory-isbn9780415564090). As the lecture series was given just as the Econometric Society was founded in 1930. We provide as background, a blow-by-blow story of how the Econometric Society got founded with emphasis on Frisch’s role. We then outline how the Yale lecture notes came into being, closely connected to Frisch’s econometric work at the time. We comment upon the lectures, relating them to Frisch’s later works and, more important, to subsequent developments in economics and econometrics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Oslo University, Department of Economics in its series Memorandum with number 05/2010.
Length: 47 pages
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, University of Oslo, P.O Box 1095 Blindern, N-0317 Oslo, Norway
Phone: 22 85 51 27
Fax: 22 85 50 35
Web page: http://www.oekonomi.uio.no/indexe.html
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Olav Bjerkholt & Duo Qin, 2010. "Teaching Economics As a Science: The 1930 Yale Lectures of Ragnar Frisch," Working Papers 665, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- B23 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - Econometrics; Quantitative and Mathematical Studies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-08-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2010-08-21 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HPE-2010-08-21 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hendry, David F., 1995. "Dynamic Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198283164.
- Olav Bjerkholt, 2007. "Ragnar Frisch's business cycle approach: The genesis of the propagation and impulse model," European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 449-486.
- Bjerkholt, Olav, 2005. "Frisch'S Econometric Laboratory And The Rise Of Trygve Haavelmo'S Probability Approach," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(03), pages 491-533, June.
- Boumans, Marcel & Dupont-Kieffer, Ariane, 2011.
"A history of the histories of econometrics,"
35744, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rhiana Bergh-Seeley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.