The role of events in the survival of rural retail
AbstractRural retailers in Sweden are currently in need of new strategies in order to meet the increasing competition from urban shopping centers and increased customer mobility. This study examines the how events can influence local retail survival in rural areas. In interviews, local stakeholders involved in retail, events and municipal decision-making describes how events affect the retail of a rural municipality in Sweden. A questionnaire survey among the visitors of two local events is also conducted, in order to see how consumers perceive the services in, and around the events. The result reveals that even if most retailers do not perceive an impact of the local events on their businesses, they acknowledge them as an important factor with potential of creating a competitive advantage. The main problem is the lack of communication between retailers, event managers and local governance. In order to get advantages from the events the local stakeholders need to form cooperative bodies where they can exchange information and knowledge, but also find joint business strategies. The study generates hypothesis for further research on the potentials of rural retail.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HUI Research in its series HUI Working Papers with number 61.
Length: 13 pages
Date of creation: 17 Apr 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: HUI Research, Regeringsgatan 60, 103 29 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 (0)8 762 72 80
Fax: +46 (0)8 679 76 06
Web page: http://www.hui.se/
More information through EDIRC
Stakeholders; collaboration; rural economy; regional development; tourism;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- L81 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Retail and Wholesale Trade; e-Commerce
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ramachandran, K. & Ramnarayan, S., 1993. "Entrepreneurial orientation and networking: Some Indian evidence," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 8(6), pages 513-524, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Nilsson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.