Testing for Unit Roots in Panel Time Series Models with Multiple Breaks
AbstractThis paper proposes two new unit root tests that are appropriate in the presence of an unknown number of structural breaks. One is based on a single time series and the other is based on a panel of multiple series. For the estimation of the number of breaks and their locations, a simple procedure based on outlier detection is proposed. The limiting distributions of the tests are derived and evaluated in small samples using simulation experiments. The implementation of the tests is illustrated using as an example purchasing power parity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers in Economics with number 384.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 29 Sep 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, School of Business, Economics and Law, University of Gothenburg, Box 640, SE 405 30 GÖTEBORG, Sweden
Phone: 031-773 10 00
Web page: http://www.handels.gu.se/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Unit root test; Structural break; Outlier detection; Common factor; Purchasing power parity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-10-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2009-10-10 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2009-10-10 (Econometric Time Series)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statistics
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eva-Lena Neth).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.