Competition in TV-Distribution - A framework and applications to Sweden
AbstractThe purpose of this report is to investigate how well competition in the TV-industry works, primarily focusing on distribution. For this purpose we suggest a framework of analysis and, at the same time, we apply this framework to the Swedish market. Even if our focus will be distribution services, we will need to paint a broader picture, including contents providers, channels, pay-TV operators, advertisers, viewers and other market participants. While our assessment is primarily based on economic analysis of the market, we also aim to integrate the economic analysis with the traditional methodology of competition law. We will therefore go into some details of how the relevant markets should be defined. The report concludes with an in-depth investigation of three current issues in the Swedish market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers in Economics with number 273.
Length: 100 pages
Date of creation: 11 Dec 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, School of Business, Economics and Law, University of Gothenburg, Box 640, SE 405 30 GÖTEBORG, Sweden
Phone: 031-773 10 00
Web page: http://www.handels.gu.se/econ/
More information through EDIRC
television; distribution; cable; satellite; IPTV; terrestrial; telecommunications; competition; oligopoly; competition policy; regulation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L00 - Industrial Organization - - General - - - General
- L40 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-12-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2007-12-15 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CUL-2007-12-15 (Cultural Economics)
- NEP-IND-2007-12-15 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MIC-2007-12-15 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-REG-2007-12-15 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Evans & Richard Schmalensee, 2007.
"The Industrial Organization of Markets with Two-Sided Platforms,"
Competition Policy International, vol. 3.
- David S. Evans & Richard Schmalensee, 2005. "The Industrial Organization of Markets with Two-Sided Platforms," NBER Working Papers 11603, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark Armstrong & Helen Weeds, 2005. "Public Service Broadcasting in the Digital World," Industrial Organization 0507010, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Andersson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.