Regional Development In Lao Pdr: Growth Patterns And Market Integration
AbstractLao PDR has shown a strong record of economic growth and poverty alleviation since the early 1990s. Yet, the pace of economic development has varied significantly between different parts of the country - the rate of growth was initially faster in more developed areas, but after the mid-1990s growth has been stronger in poorer rural areas. Here it is shown that this pattern of regional development has been driven by the nature of market integration. This is highlighted in three case studies covering: (i) the effect of transport infrastructure and local institutions on domestic consumer good markets; (ii) the process of regional integration with neighboring countries; and (iii) the ability of Lao producers to compete on the world market for coffee.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The European Institute of Japanese Studies in its series EIJS Working Paper Series with number 234.
Length: 55 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The European Institute of Japanese Studies, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/eijs/
More information through EDIRC
Laos; Lao PDR; regional development; market integration; infrastructure;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L66 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Food; Beverages; Cosmetics; Tobacco
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-07-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2007-07-07 (Development)
- NEP-GEO-2007-07-07 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-SEA-2007-07-07 (South East Asia)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andriesse, E., 2011. "Laos: a state coordinated frontier economy," ISS Working Papers - General Series 522, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Loening, Josef L., 2011. "Lao People’s Democratic Republic: responding to rice price inflation," MPRA Paper 33443, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nanhee Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.