Estimation of the long memory parameter in non stationary models: A Simulation Study
AbstractIn this paper we perform a Monte Carlo study based on three well-known semiparametric estimates for the long memory fractional parameter. We study the efficiency of Geweke and Porter-Hudak, Gaussian semiparametric and wavelet Ordinary Least-Square estimates in both stationary and non stationary models. We consider an adequate data tapers to compute non stationary estimates. The Monte Carlo simulation study is based on different sample size. We show that for d belonging to [1/4,1.25) the Haar estimate performs the others with respect to the mean squared error. The estimation methods are applied to energy data set for an empirical illustration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Working Papers with number halshs-00595057.
Date of creation: 23 May 2011
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00595057/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
wavelets; long memory; tapering; non-stationarity; volatility.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-06-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2011-06-04 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2011-06-04 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-ORE-2011-06-04 (Operations Research)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Liudas Giraitis & Remigijus Leipus & Peter M Robinson & Donatas Surgailis, 2003.
"LARCH, Leverage and Long Memory,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
/2003/460, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Giraitis, Liudas & Leipus, Remigijus & Robinson, Peter M. & Surgailis, Donatas, 2004. "LARCH, leverage, and long memory," Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Faÿ, Gilles & Moulines, Eric & Roueff, François & Taqqu, Murad S., 2009. "Estimators of long-memory: Fourier versus wavelets," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 151(2), pages 159-177, August.
- Tanaka, Katsuto, 1999. "The Nonstationary Fractional Unit Root," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 549-582, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.