Modelling financial time series with SEMIFAR-GARCH model
AbstractA class of semiparametric fractional autoregressive GARCH models (SEMIFAR-GARCH), which includes deterministic trends, difference stationarity and stationarity with short- and long-range dependence, and heteroskedastic model errors, is very powerful for modelling financial time series. This paper discusses the model fitting, including an efficient algorithm and parameter estimation of GARCH error term. So that the model can be applied in practice. We then illustrate the model and estimation methods with a few of different finance data sets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 1593.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Financial time series; GARCH model; SEMIFAR model; parameter estimation; kernel estimation; asymptotic property;
Other versions of this item:
- Yuanhua Feng & Jan Beran & Keming Yu, 2007. "Modelling financial time series with SEMIFAR-GARCH model," CoFE Discussion Paper 07-14, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- G00 - Financial Economics - - General - - - General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2007-02-10 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2007-02-10 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hosking, Jonathan R. M., 1996. "Asymptotic distributions of the sample mean, autocovariances, and autocorrelations of long-memory time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 261-284, July.
- Liudas Giraitis, 2004.
"LARCH, Leverage, and Long Memory,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(2), pages 177-210.
- Shiqing Ling & Michael McAleer, 2001.
"Necessary and Sufficient Moment Conditions for the GARCH(r,s) and Asymmetric Power GARCH(r,s) Models,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0534, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Ling, Shiqing & McAleer, Michael, 2002. "NECESSARY AND SUFFICIENT MOMENT CONDITIONS FOR THE GARCH(r,s) AND ASYMMETRIC POWER GARCH(r,s) MODELS," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 722-729, June.
- Beran, Jan & Feng, Yuanhua, 2002. "SEMIFAR models--a semiparametric approach to modelling trends, long-range dependence and nonstationarity," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 393-419, August.
- He, Changli & Ter svirta, Timo, 1999. "FOURTH MOMENT STRUCTURE OF THE GARCH(p,q) PROCESS," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(06), pages 824-846, December.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Engle, Robert F & Lilien, David M & Robins, Russell P, 1987. "Estimating Time Varying Risk Premia in the Term Structure: The Arch-M Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 391-407, March.
- Robinson, P. M., 1991. "Testing for strong serial correlation and dynamic conditional heteroskedasticity in multiple regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 67-84, January.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Bollerslev, Tim & Mikkelsen, Hans Ole, 1996.
"Fractionally integrated generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 3-30, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Baillie, Bollerslev, Mikkelson FIGARCH results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00009, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jan Beran & Yuanhua.Feng, 2001. "Iterative plug-in algorithms for SEMIFAR models - definition, convergence and asymptotic properties," CoFE Discussion Paper 01-11, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Jan Beran & Yuanhua Feng, 1999. "Local Polynomial Estimation with a FARIMA-GARCH Error Process," CoFE Discussion Paper 99-08, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Heni Boubaker & Nadia Sghaier, 2014. "Semiparametric Generalized Long Memory Modelling of GCC Stock Market Returns: A Wavelet Approach," Working Papers 2014-066, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Yuanhua Feng, 2002.
"Optimal Convergence Rates in Nonparametric Regression with Fractional Time Series Errors,"
CoFE Discussion Paper
02-01, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Yuanhua Feng & Jan Beran, 2013. "Optimal convergence rates in non-parametric regression with fractional time series errors," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1), pages 30-39, 01.
- Yuanhua Feng & Jan Beran, 2007. "Optimal Convergence Rates in Nonparametric Regression with Fractional Time Series Errors," CoFE Discussion Paper 07-15, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Charles S. Bos & Siem Jan Koopman & Marius Ooms, 2007.
"Long memory modelling of inflation with stochastic variance and structural breaks,"
CREATES Research Papers
2007-44, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- C.S. Bos & S.J. Koopman & M. Ooms, 2007. "Long Memory Modelling of Inflation with Stochastic Variance and Structural Breaks," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-099/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Bos, Charles S. & Koopman, Siem Jan & Ooms, Marius, 2014. "Long memory with stochastic variance model: A recursive analysis for US inflation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 76(C), pages 144-157.
- Mohamed Chikhi & Anne Péguin-Feissolle & Michel Terraza, 2012.
"SEMIFARMA-HYGARCH Modeling of Dow Jones Return Persistence,"
AMSE Working Papers
1214, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France.
- Mohamed Chikhi & Anne Péguin-Feissolle & Michel Terraza, 2013. "SEMIFARMA-HYGARCH Modeling of Dow Jones Return Persistence," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 41(2), pages 249-265, February.
- Mohamed Chikhi & Anne Peguin-Feissolle & Michel Terraza, 2012. "SEMIFARMA-HYGARCH Modeling of Dow Jones Return Persistence," Working Papers halshs-00793203, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.