Estimators of long-memory: Fourier versus wavelets
AbstractSemi-parametric estimation methods of the long-memory exponent of a time series have been studied in several papers, some applied, others theoretical, some using Fourier methods, others using a wavelet-based technique. In this paper, we compare the Fourier and wavelet approaches to the local regression method and to the local Whittle method. We provide an overview of these methods, describe what has been done and indicate the available results and the conditions under which they hold. We discuss their relative strengths and weaknesses both from a practical and a theoretical perspective. We also include a simulation-based comparison. The software written to support this work is available on demand and we illustrate its use at the end of the paper.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 151 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Wavelet analysis Long range dependence Semi-parametric estimation;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Violetta Dalla & Liudas Giraitis & Javier Hidalgo, 2006.
"Consistent estimation of the memory parameter for nonlinear time series,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(2), pages 211-251, 03.
- Violetta Dalla & Liudas Giraitis & Javier Hidalgo, 2006. "Consistent estimation of the memory parameterfor nonlinear time series," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /06/497, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- V Dalla & L Giraitis & J Hidalgo, . "Consistent estimation of the memory parameter for nonlinear time series," Discussion Papers 05/17, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Violetta Dalla & Liudas Giraitis & Javier Hidalgo, 2006. "Consistent estimation of the memory parameterfor nonlinear time series," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2006/497, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Marc Henry & Peter M Robinson, 2002.
"Higher-Order Kernel Semiparametric M-Estimation of Long Memory,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
/2002/436, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Robinson, Peter M. & Henry, Marc, 2003. "Higher-order kernel semiparametric M-estimation of long memory," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 1-27, May.
- ANDREWS, DONALD W & Sun, Yixiao X, 2002.
"Adaptive Local Polynomial Whittle Estimation of Long-Range Dependence,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt9wt048tt, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Donald W. K. Andrews & Yixiao Sun, 2004. "Adaptive Local Polynomial Whittle Estimation of Long-range Dependence," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(2), pages 569-614, 03.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Yixiao Sun, 2002. "Adaptive Local Polynomial Whittle Estimation of Long-range Dependence," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1384, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Clifford M. Hurvich & Eric Moulines & Philippe Soulier, 2005.
"Estimating Long Memory in Volatility,"
Econometric Society, vol. 73(4), pages 1283-1328, 07.
- J. Bardet & G. Lang & E. Moulines & P. Soulier, 2000. "Wavelet Estimator of Long-Range Dependent Processes," Statistical Inference for Stochastic Processes, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 85-99, January.
- Abadir, Karim M. & Distaso, Walter & Giraitis, Liudas, 2007. "Nonstationarity-extended local Whittle estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 1353-1384, December.
- E. Moulines & F. Roueff & M. S. Taqqu, 2007. "On the Spectral Density of the Wavelet Coefficients of Long-Memory Time Series with Application to the Log-Regression Estimation of the Memory Parameter," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(2), pages 155-187, 03.
- Velasco, Carlos, 2000. "Non-Gaussian Log-Periodogram Regression," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(01), pages 44-79, February.
- Hurvich, Clifford M. & Moulines, Eric & Soulier, Philippe, 2002. "The FEXP estimator for potentially non-stationary linear time series," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 307-340, February.
- Deo, Rohit & Hurvich, Clifford & Lu, Yi, 2006.
"Forecasting realized volatility using a long-memory stochastic volatility model: estimation, prediction and seasonal adjustment,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 131(1-2), pages 29-58.
- Rohit Deo & Clifford Hurvich & Yi Lu, 2005. "Forecasting Realized Volatility Using a Long Memory Stochastic Volatility Model: Estimation, Prediction and Seasonal Adjustment," Econometrics 0501002, EconWPA.
- Shimotsu, Katsumi & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2006. "Local Whittle estimation of fractional integration and some of its variants," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 209-233, February.
- Stoev, Stilian & Taqqu, Murad S. & Park, Cheolwoo & Michailidis, George & Marron, J.S., 2006. "LASS: a tool for the local analysis of self-similarity," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(9), pages 2447-2471, May.
- Velasco, Carlos, 1999. "Non-stationary log-periodogram regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 325-371, August.
- Faÿ, Gilles & Moulines, Eric & Soulier, Philippe, 2004. "Edgeworth expansions for linear statistics of possibly long-range-dependent linear processes," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 275-288, February.
- Tanaka, Katsuto, 1999. "The Nonstationary Fractional Unit Root," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 549-582, August.
- Hurvich, Clifford & Lang, Gabriel & Soulier, Philippe, 2005. "Estimation of Long Memory in the Presence of a Smooth Nonparametric Trend," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 853-871, September.
- Xiao, Wei-Lin & Zhang, Wei-Guo & Zhang, Xi-Li & Wang, Ying-Luo, 2010. "Pricing currency options in a fractional Brownian motion with jumps," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 935-942, September.
- Jozef Barunik & Michaela Barunikova, 2012. "Revisiting the fractional cointegrating dynamics of implied-realized volatility relation with wavelet band spectrum regression," Papers 1208.4831, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2013.
- Roueff, François & von Sachs, Rainer, 2011. "Locally stationary long memory estimation," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 121(4), pages 813-844, April.
- Heni Boubaker & Anne Péguin-Feissolle, 2013. "Estimating the Long-Memory Parameter in Nonstationary Processes Using Wavelets," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 42(3), pages 291-306, October.
- Mohamed Boutahar & Rabeh Khalfaoui2, 2011. "Estimation of the long memory parameter in non stationary models: A Simulation Study," Working Papers halshs-00595057, HAL.
- Linyuan Li & Kewei Lu, 2013. "On rate-optimal nonparametric wavelet regression with long memory moving average errors," Statistical Inference for Stochastic Processes, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 127-145, July.
- Jean-Christophe Breton & Jean-François Coeurjolly, 2012. "Confidence intervals for the Hurst parameter of a fractional Brownian motion based on finite sample size," Statistical Inference for Stochastic Processes, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 1-26, April.
- Jozef Barunik & Evzen Kocenda & Lukas Vacha, 2013. "Gold, Oil, and Stocks," Papers 1308.0210, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2014.
- Dominique Guegan & Zhiping Lu & BeiJia Zhu, 2012. "Comparaison of several estimation procedures for long term behavior," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 12008, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.