Consistent estimation of the memory parameter for nonlinear time series
AbstractFor linear processes, semiparametric estimation of the memory parameter, based on the log-periodogram and local Whittle estimators, has been exhaustively examined and their properties well established. However, except for some specific cases, little is known about the estimation of the memory parameter for nonlinear processes. The purpose of this paper is to provide the general conditions under which the local Whittle estimator of the memory parameter of a stationary process is consistent and to examine its rate of convergence. We show that these conditions are satisfied for linear processes and a wide class of nonlinear models, among others, signal plus noise processes, nonlinear transforms of a Gaussian process xi_t and exponential generalized autoregressive, conditionally heteroscedastic (EGARCH) models. Special cases where the estimator satisfies the central limit theorem are discussed. The finite-sample performance of the estimator is investigated in a small Monte Carlo study. Copyright 2005 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Time Series Analysis.
Volume (Year): 27 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0143-9782
Other versions of this item:
- Violetta Dalla & Liudas Giraitis & Javier Hidalgo, 2006. "Consistent estimation of the memory parameterfor nonlinear time series," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2006/497, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Violetta Dalla & Liudas Giraitis & Javier Hidalgo, 2006. "Consistent estimation of the memory parameterfor nonlinear time series," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /06/497, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- V Dalla & L Giraitis & J Hidalgo, . "Consistent estimation of the memory parameter for nonlinear time series," Discussion Papers 05/17, Department of Economics, University of York.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996.
Cahiers de recherche
9613, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Eric Ghysels & Andrew Harvey & Éric Renault, 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-49, CIRANO.
- GHYSELS, Eric & HARVEY, Andrew & RENAULT, Eric, 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," CORE Discussion Papers 1995069, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," Papers 95.400, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996. "Stochastic Volatility," Cahiers de recherche 9613, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- ANDREWS, DONALD W & Sun, Yixiao X, 2002.
"Adaptive Local Polynomial Whittle Estimation of Long-Range Dependence,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt9wt048tt, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Donald W. K. Andrews & Yixiao Sun, 2004. "Adaptive Local Polynomial Whittle Estimation of Long-range Dependence," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(2), pages 569-614, 03.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Yixiao Sun, 2002. "Adaptive Local Polynomial Whittle Estimation of Long-range Dependence," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1384, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Clifford M. Hurvich & Eric Moulines & Philippe Soulier, 2005.
"Estimating Long Memory in Volatility,"
Econometric Society, vol. 73(4), pages 1283-1328, 07.
- Yixiao Sun & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2002.
"Nonlinear Log-Periodogram Regression for Perturbed Fractional Processes,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1366, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Sun, Yixiao & Phillips, Peter C. B., 2003. "Nonlinear log-periodogram regression for perturbed fractional processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 355-389, August.
- Arteche González, Jesús María, 2002.
"Gaussian Semiparametric Estimation in Long Memory in Stochastic Volatility and Signal Plus Noise Models,"
2002-02, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística).
- Arteche, Josu, 2004. "Gaussian semiparametric estimation in long memory in stochastic volatility and signal plus noise models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 131-154, March.
- Breidt, F. Jay & Crato, Nuno & de Lima, Pedro, 1998. "The detection and estimation of long memory in stochastic volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1-2), pages 325-348.
- Robinson, P. M., 2001.
"The memory of stochastic volatility models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 195-218, April.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Deo, Rohit S. & Hurvich, Clifford M., 2001. "On The Log Periodogram Regression Estimator Of The Memory Parameter In Long Memory Stochastic Volatility Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(04), pages 686-710, August.
- Peter M Robinson & Carlos Velasco, 2000. "Whittle Pseudo-Maximum Likelihood Estimation for Nonstationary Time Series - (Now published in Journal of the American Statistical Association, 95, (2000), pp.1229-1243.)," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2000/391, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Harvey, Andrew & Ruiz, Esther & Shephard, Neil, 1994.
"Multivariate Stochastic Variance Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 247-64, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to estimate multivariate stochastic volatility models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00093, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Abadir, Karim M. & Distaso, Walter & Giraitis, Liudas, 2009. "Two estimators of the long-run variance: Beyond short memory," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 150(1), pages 56-70, May.
- Marco Avarucci & Domenico Marinucci, 2005. "Polynomial Cointegration Among Stationary Processes With Long Memory," Economics Working Papers we055123, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Frank S. Nielsen, 2009. "Local Whittle estimation of multivariate fractionally integrated processes," CREATES Research Papers 2009-38, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- George Kapetanios & Fotis Papailias, 2011. "Block Bootstrap and Long Memory," Working Papers 679, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Francis W. Ahking, 2004.
"Non-Parametric Tests of Real Exchange rates in the Post-Bretton Woods Era,"
2004-05, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Francis Ahking, 2010. "Non-parametric tests of real exchange rates in the post-Bretton Woods era," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 439-456, October.
- Karim M. Abadir & Walter Distaso & Liudas Giraitis, 2010.
"An I(d) Model with Trend and Cycles,"
Working Paper Series
18_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Hira Koul & Nao Mimoto & Donatas Surgailis, 2013. "Goodness-of-fit tests for long memory moving average marginal density," Metrika, Springer, vol. 76(2), pages 205-224, February.
- Abadir, Karim M. & Distaso, Walter & Giraitis, Liudas, 2007. "Nonstationarity-extended local Whittle estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 1353-1384, December.
- Frank S. Nielsen, 2008. "Local polynomial Whittle estimation covering non-stationary fractional processes," CREATES Research Papers 2008-28, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Richard T. Baillie & George Kapetanios, 2006. "Nonlinear Models with Strongly Dependent Processes and Applications to Forward Premia and Real Exchange Rates," Working Papers 570, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Michael Levine & Soledad Torres & Frederi Viens, 2009. "Estimators for the long-memory parameter in LARCH models, and fractional Brownian motion," Statistical Inference for Stochastic Processes, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 221-250, October.
- Faÿ, Gilles & Moulines, Eric & Roueff, François & Taqqu, Murad S., 2009. "Estimators of long-memory: Fourier versus wavelets," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 151(2), pages 159-177, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.