The impact of emissions-performance benchmarking on free allocations in EU ETS Phase 3
AbstractFrom Phase 3 (2013-20) of the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme carbon-intensive industrial emitters will receive free allocations based on harmonised, EU-wide benchmarks. This paper analyses and evaluates the impacts of these new rules on allocations to key energy-intensive sectors. It exploits an original dataset that combines recent data from the National Implementing Measures of 20 Member States with the Community Independent Transaction Log and ETS-installation NACE code data. The analysis reveals that free allocations to benchmarked sectors will be reduced significantly, though not excessively, in Phase 3. This reduction should both increase public revenues from carbon auctions and has the potential to enhance the economic efficiency of the carbon market. The analysis also shows that changes in allocation vary mostly across installations within, rather than across, countries. Lastly, the analysis finds evidence that the new rules will, as intended, reward installations with better emissions performance, and will improve harmonisation of free allocations in the EU ETS by reducing differences in allocation levels across countries with similar carbon intensities of production.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Working Papers with number hal-00809096.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2013
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00809096
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
European Union Emissions Trading Scheme (EU ETS); CO2 allowance allocation; Emissions-performance benchmarking.;
Other versions of this item:
- Stephen Lecourt & Clément Pallière & Oliver Sartor, 2013. "The impact of emissions-performance benchmarking on free allocations in EU ETS Phase 3," RSCAS Working Papers 2013/17, European University Institute.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ahman, Markus & Burtraw, Dallas & Kruger, Joseph & Zetterberg, Lars, 2007. "A Ten-Year Rule to guide the allocation of EU emission allowances," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1718-1730, March.
- Georg Zachmann & Anta Ndoye & Jan Abrell, 2011.
"Assessing the impact of the EU ETS using firm level data,"
- Jan Abrell & Anta Ndoye Faye & Georg Zachmann, 2011. "Assessing the impact of the EU ETS using firm level data," Working Papers of BETA 2011-15, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Ellerman,A. Denny & Convery,Frank J. & de Perthuis,Christian With contributions by-Name:Alberola,Emilie With contributions by-Name:Buchner,Barbara K. With contributions by-Name:Delbosc,Anaïs, 2010. "Pricing Carbon," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521196475, October.
- Pahle, Michael & Fan, Lin & Schill, Wolf-Peter, 2011. "How emission certificate allocations distort fossil investments: The German example," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 1975-1987, April.
- Ralf Martin & Mirabelle Muûls & Ulrich J. Wagner & Laure B. de Preux, 2012.
"Industry Compensation Under Relocation Risk: A Firm-Level Analysis of the EU Emissions Trading Scheme,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp1150, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Ralf Martin & Mirabelle Muûls & Laure B. de Preux & Ulrich J. Wagner, 2012. "Industry compensation under relocation risk: a firm-level analysis of the EU Emissions Trading Scheme," Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment Working Papers 85, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Ralf Martin & Mirabelle Muûls & Laure B. de Preux & Ulrich J. Wagner, 2013. "Industry Compensation Under Relocation Risk: A Firm-Level Analysis of the EU Emissions Trading Scheme," NBER Working Papers 19097, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- De Perthuis, Christian & Convery, Frank J. & Ellerman, Denny, 2010. "Pricing carbon : the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/10174, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.