Strategic loyalty reward in dynamic price Discrimination
AbstractThis paper proposes a dynamic model of duopolistic competition under behaviorbased price discrimination with the following property: in equilibrium, a firm may reward its previous customers although long term contracts are not enforceable. A firm can offer a lower price to its previous customers than to its new customers as a strategic means to hamper its rival to gather precise information on the young generation of customers for subsequent profitable behavior-based pricing. The result holds both with myopic and forward-looking, impatient enough consumers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series PSE Working Papers with number halshs-00622291.
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00622291
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Price discrimination ; Dynamic pricing ; Loyalty reward;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-09-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2011-09-22 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2011-09-22 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IND-2011-09-22 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MKT-2011-09-22 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gehrig, Thomas & Shy, Oz & Stenbacka, Rune, 2011. "History-based price discrimination and entry in markets with switching costs: A welfare analysis," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 55(5), pages 732-739, June.
- Rosa Branca Esteves, 2009. "CUSTOMER POACHING AND ADVERTISING -super-* ," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(1), pages 112-146, 03.
- Yongmin Chen, 2008. "DYNAMIC PRICE DISCRIMINATION WITH ASYMMETRIC FIRMS -super-* ," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(4), pages 729-751, December.
- Taylor, Curtis R, 2003.
" Supplier Surfing: Competition and Consumer Behavior in Subscription Markets,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(2), pages 223-46, Summer.
- Taylor, Curtis R., 2000. "Supplier Surfing: Competition and Consumer Behavior in Subscription Markets," Working Papers 00-12, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- J. Miguel Villas-Boas, 1999. "Dynamic Competition with Customer Recognition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(4), pages 604-631, Winter.
- Maskin, Eric & Tirole, Jean, 2001.
"Markov Perfect Equilibrium: I. Observable Actions,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 191-219, October.
- Eric Maskin & Jean Tirole, 1997. "Markov Perfect Equilibrium, I: Observable Actions," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1799, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Alessandro Acquisti & Hal R. Varian, 2002.
"Contidioning Prices on Purchase History,"
- Rosa Branca Esteves, 2009. "A Survey on the Economics of Behaviour-Based Price Discrimination," NIPE Working Papers 5/2009, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Yongmin Chen & Jason Pearcy, 2010. "Dynamic pricing: when to entice brand switching and when to reward consumer loyalty," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 41(4), pages 674-685.
- Thomas Gehrig & Rune Stenbacka, 2004. "Differentiation-Induced Switching Costs and Poaching," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 635-655, December.
- Esteves, Rosa-Branca, 2010.
"Pricing with customer recognition,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 669-681, November.
- Chen, Yuxin & Zhang, Z. John, 2009. "Dynamic targeted pricing with strategic consumers," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 43-50, January.
- Narasimhan, Chakravarthi, 1988. "Competitive Promotional Strategies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 61(4), pages 427-49, October.
- Byung-Cheol Kim & Jay Pil Choi, 2010.
"Customer Information Sharing: Strategic Incentives and New Implications,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(2), pages 403-433, 06.
- Byung-Cheol Kim & Jay Pil Choi, 2007. "Customer Infomation Sharing: Strategic Incentives and New Implications," Working Papers 07-27, NET Institute, revised Sep 2007.
- Juanjuan Zhang, 2011. "The Perils of Behavior-Based Personalization," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(1), pages 170-186, 01-02.
- Amit Pazgal & David Soberman, 2008. "Behavior-Based Discrimination: Is It a Winning Play, and If So, When?," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(6), pages 977-994, 11-12.
- Caminal, Ramon & Matutes, Carmen, 1990. "Endogenous switching costs in a duopoly model," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 353-373, September.
- Yongmin Chen, 1997. "Paying Customers to Switch," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 877-897, December.
- De Nijs, Romain & Rhodes, Andrew, 2013. "Behavior-based pricing with experience goods," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 118(1), pages 155-158.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.