DYNAMIC PRICE DISCRIMINATION WITH ASYMMETRIC FIRMS -super-*
AbstractThis paper considers variants of a dynamic duopoly model where one firm has a stronger market position than its competitor. Consumers' past purchases may reveal their different valuations for the two firms' products. Price discrimination based on purchase histories tends to benefit consumers if it does not cause the weaker firm to exit; otherwise it can harm consumers. The effect of price discrimination also depends on firms' cost differences, market competitiveness, and consumers' time horizon. The stronger firm may price below cost in the presence of consumer switching costs, with the purpose and effect of eliminating competition. Copyright 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. and the Editorial Board of The Journal of Industrial Economics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal The Journal of Industrial Economics.
Volume (Year): 56 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-1821
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jan Bouckaert & Hans Degryse & Theon Van Dijk, 2008.
"Price Discrimination Bans on Dominant Firms,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2192, CESifo Group Munich.
- Degryse, H.A., 2008. "Price Discrimination Bans on Dominant Firms," Discussion Paper 2008-001, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Bouckaert, J.M.C. & Degryse, H.A. & Dijk, T. van, 2008. "Price Discrimination Bans on Dominant Firms," Discussion Paper 2008-3, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Oz Shy & Rune Stenbacka, 2011. "Customer recognition and competition," Working Papers 11-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Bouckaert, J.M.C. & Degryse, H.A. & Dijk, T. van, 2012.
"Bertrand Competition with an Asymmetric No-Discrimination Constraint,"
2012-009, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jan Bouckaert & Hans Degryse & Theon Dijk, 2013. "Bertrand Competition with an Asymmetric No-discrimination Constraint," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(1), pages 62-83, 03.
- Bouckaert, J.M.C. & Degryse, H.A. & Dijk, T. van, 2012. "Bertrand Competition with an Asymmetric No-Discrimination Constraint," Discussion Paper 2012-004, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- BOUCKAERT, Jan & DEGRYSE, Hans & vAN DIJK; Theon, 2012. "Bertrand competition with an asymmetric no-discrimination constraint," Working Papers 2012006, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Bernard Caillaud & Romain De Nijs, 2011. "Strategic loyalty reward in dynamic price Discrimination," PSE Working Papers halshs-00622291, HAL.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00622291 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rosa Branca Esteves & Hélder Vasconcelos, 2009.
"Price Discrimination under Customer Recognition and Mergers,"
NIPE Working Papers
23/2009, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Esteves, Rosa Branca & Vasconcelos, Helder, 2010. "Price Discrimination under Customer Recognition and Mergers," CEPR Discussion Papers 7683, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.