Price Fairness versus Pricing Fairness
AbstractThis research note discusses the distinction between these two concepts of perceptions of fairness, based on the theory of distributive justice and procedural justice, in order to helps understand consumer behavior. With a sample of 250 tourists in French Polynesia and a structural equation model, tourists do not confuse price fairness and pricing fairness. The theoretical implications are that future research should use two distinct scales. For managers, the study suggests that the attention devoted to explaining the fairness of the pricing has more impact on consumer satisfaction than some attempts to explain the price.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number hal-00694108.
Date of creation: 04 Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Revenue & Yield Management eJournal, 2012, 12
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00694108
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
consumer perceptions; price fairness; pricing fairness; tourism study;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-HME-2012-05-15 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-IND-2012-05-15 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MKT-2012-05-15 (Marketing)
- NEP-TUR-2012-05-15 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maxwell, Sarah, 2002. "Rule-based price fairness and its effect on willingness to purchase," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 191-212, April.
- Bolton, Lisa E & Warlop, Luk & Alba, Joseph W, 2003. " Consumer Perceptions of Price (Un)Fairness," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(4), pages 474-91, March.
- Kelly L. Haws & William O. Bearden, 2006. "Dynamic Pricing and Consumer Fairness Perceptions," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(3), pages 304-311, October.
- Bolton, LE & Warlop, Luk & Alba, JW, 2003. "Consumer perceptions of price (un)fairness," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/101228, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.