A New Institutional Approach of Resource Use Conflicts: The Case of Poitou-Charentes
AbstractNew Institutional Economics, based on the Coasean comparative approach, offers a highly useful framework for research on environmental problems. We propose a tentative analytic framework for environmental problems and we try its heuristic power by first applying it to the Poitou-Charentes region, which encounters problems of negative externalities concerning its water resource. We can thus identify the characteristics of this environmental issue through the lens of the transaction costs theory. Finally, we draw conclusions about the relative efficiency of the various governance institutions potentially available to deal with the problems of externalities in the area in question.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number hal-00655829.
Date of creation: 31 May 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published - Presented, ESNIE 2010 The Ninth session of the European School on New Institutional Economics, 2010, Cargèse, France
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00655829/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Environmental problems; the Poitou-Charentes region; New Institutional Economics; Transaction Costs;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laura McCann & K. William Easter, 1999. "Transaction Costs of Policies to Reduce Agricultural Phosphorous Pollution in the Minnesota River," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 75(3), pages 402-414.
- McCann, Laura & Colby, Bonnie & Easter, K. William & Kasterine, Alexander & Kuperan, K.V., 2005. "Transaction cost measurement for evaluating environmental policies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 527-542, March.
- Depres, Christophe & Grolleau, Gilles & Mzoughi, Naoufel, 2005.
"Contracting for Environmental Property Rights: The Case of Vittel,"
2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark
24729, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Christophe Depres & Gilles Grolleau & Naoufel Mzoughi, 2008. "Contracting for Environmental Property Rights: The Case of Vittel," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 75(299), pages 412-434, 08.
- Oliver E. Williamson, 2002. "The Lens of Contract: Private Ordering," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(2), pages 438-443, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.